March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (LeFusil, playing hooky, Ian Forrester, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dal #472878 02/22/17 10:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS, useful info re the Ithaca ribs, Benelli employs a similar system on the models with removable carbon fiber ribs.

Perhaps a maker of double guns will see his way to offering the same lightweight choices someday.

dal #472882 02/22/17 10:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before blaming the rib, pattern the gun and see where it is shooting in comparison to a gun you shoot well.

I suspect the role of the rib is less important than the stock fit overall, the choking, the balance, etc.

As for the swamped versus other rib types, for some it makes a difference in shooting (probably very few) or aesthetically (many more). I do not find them of any particular negative or positive note. That said I no longer own any guns with one, but that is taste, not function.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
dal #472917 02/22/17 07:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
It isn't as if I named anyone who performs the chicken dance while using a gun with ejectors. There are times an ejector mechanism might be an advantage-a driven shoot with a matched pair, and a loader you are paying for come to mind.

That said, most of the time, I can live without them. And I've seen a few people curse them while hunting or shooting. They don't belong everywhere.

I have few actual "compadres" on this board, Stan. Perhaps four like minded individuals who send a PMs back and forth with me, and two people who I have actually met, and, consider me a friend inspite of meeting me. I shoot and hunt with them. There are also a couple guys who have washed their hands of the board who stay in touch.

What the hell are you talking about when you say "compadres", Stan?

I guess I usually pick up my empties, but, if I can't find one I don't make a stink about it. I know the actual friend I met on the board (a hell of a friend, I might add) and hunt with makes about the same effort, and I can't remember if we have ever discussed the subject. The other board friend hosts a shoot (another great guy) and I think he is a voracious reloader, so, I'm going to guess he picks them up. The 37 throws them at my feet, I guess I usually find those
I've missed a few empties when using my Dad's A5, but, I'm expecting that won't keep me from heaven.
Maybe I'm wrong, but, Dad missed a few along the way as well, so, we'll meet up eventually, I expect.
If I ever harped on picking up empties, I honestly don't remember it. I'm more inclined to harp about looking for the bird I just shot at, even if it didn't appear to be hit hard. If I find empties that someone else shot, I will make about the same effort to grab them, and throw them away, at home.

But, it really has nothing to do with how I feel about typical ejectors, Stan.

I really like Darne ejectors, but, if you've never used or seen them in use, it is a little hard to visualize. The empties just end up between the sliding breech and the extractor, that raises them slightly if you don't shoot. Grab 'em, and put them in your pocket, or, tip the gun and let them fall.
Use your ejectors in good health, Stan. But, at least admit, you've seen a guy or two who did exactly what I described, and, maybe, you got a laugh out of it, too.

Best,
Ted

dal #472918 02/22/17 08:04 PM
dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm with Ted on this one (although I thought we were talking about ribs...lol), I don't really have a 'use' for ejectors myself. Lucky my rizzini allows for both.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
dal #472921 02/22/17 09:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, by "compadres", I only meant those who do not like ejectors. I had the impression that you did not like them, but I see from what you just wrote that I must be wrong on that. I was not lumping you in with those who degrade ejectors and those who favor them ...... notice I said that I had never read where you had ever accused the ejector favoring guys of littering. I was addressing your lack of understanding about why some of us like them, If I understood your post correctly. The part about those who have the holier than thou attitude was not addressed to you, and maybe I should not have included it in the same post.

I certainly have seen people who litter irreverently with their hulls, but most of them have been automatic and pump gun shooters. The Darne ejection system certainly sounds unique, but until I actually get the chance to use one enough to get comfortable with it I will continue to catch them in my palm and either deposit them in one of my game pockets, or toss them in the trash drum at the station.

Thanks for the reply, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the clarification on the clays course, Brother Stan. I do not shoot well enough to ever experience said scenario. smile

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
dal #472935 02/23/17 07:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, at the end of the day, a least it seems everyone here now knows the difference between a swamped and a concave rib.
A good thing.

Best,
Ted

dal #472941 02/23/17 10:03 AM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, question about Darne R-10. In that it has a rib on top, but not on the bottom, what's the proper nomenclature--semi-swamped?? The MF Ideal is swamped on both sides, with a sighting "plume" extending downward a few inches from the breech on top and a smaller sight ramp at muzzle's end. Gil

dal #472961 02/23/17 02:56 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Plume. That's the term. French translation is "feather", or lightweight. In Darne nomenclature, Plume is rib on top, none on bottom.

dal #472982 02/23/17 07:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There were a dizzying variety of ribs available on Darne guns, most aren't seen here in the states. One could get a raised rib, with or without under rib, a battue rib, typical on slug guns, a swamped rib, with or without an under rib, a ventilated rib, again, with or without under rib, and likely a few I have forgotten.
There was a 1911 or so vintage live pigeon Darne R11 in the rack at Darne, in St. Etienne, the last time I was there, engraved to R15 level, with heavy weight barrels, an under rib, and a raised file cut rib, with 32" tubes, and a restock in a straight English style, a 9 pound brute of a clay crunching gun, that I would have loved to own. The R11 style of stock mount is considered to be the heavy duty version of wood mounting, and is also used on slug guns and double rifles.
I was out of money.

Nothing new there. But, that gun haunts me.

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.