April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a good friend who also has Parkinsons. He fights it really hard. He takes boxing lessons, dances, hunts both birds and big game. He also works very harden his memory.
None-the-less at this time it is progressive.

I was reading some literature a few months ago and they have discovered a very important break through. They now believe Parkinsons is caused by a bacteria in the gut. Hopefully new medicines will be on the market shortly.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I totally agree with Ken about the importance of diet and health, and the importance of diet in regarding chronic diseases. I have followed an eating regimen for at least 15 years that stresses a balance of protein, carbs, (good carbs), and fat. The proper ratio is 7 - 9- 3 ......... protein to carbs to fat. When I began that I lost steadily but slowly to a very lean physique. I no longer get hungry between meals, because I do not eat sweet rolls, candy, cakes, pies, white bread, rice, or white potatoes (all bad carbs) on a daily basis. Do I cheat occasionally? Yep. I love pecan pie. But the important thing to remember about how you eat is that it's not what you eat every now and then that is determines your health, it is what you eat every day.

I wish I could have gotten my father-in-law on this regimen before he came down with Parkinson's and Alzheimers, and died within three years from them. There are great discoveries being made concerning Parkinson's. Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDjQ7lKmH3s

SRH

This nutritional pattern is appropriate once you're in a "maintenance" phase. It's not as effective initially, as detrimental conditions are cause by chronic, long-term nutritional patterns that cause resistance issues at the cellular level. Diabetes, and weight gain leading to obesity are just a few examples. Initially, it's important to enable a dietary hormonal pattern that reverses these detrimental conditions. The 7-9-3 pattern is still an insulin based one, but due to it's reduced carb intake it prevents rises in insulin and leptin resistance which lead to the development of the aforementioned detrimental conditions.

The most effective way to reverse detrimental conditions initially is to enable a lipolytic, or fat-burning hormonal secretion pattern. This lipolytic pattern is usually referred to as a "Ketogenic" diet, but the term is somewhat of a misnomer, as ketosis is merely one of four major energy pathways used during the overall state of lipolysis. It is also the most effective way to lose fat if overweight. Here's a link with basic info:

https://authoritynutrition.com/ketogenic-diet-101/

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/10/17 08:15 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Ken. Very interesting. My son, who is here visiting from AZ for a few days, is on such a diet also. He was already pretty lean, at 12% body fat, but after a few months has improved to 10%. He weighs somewhere around 145 #, I'd guess. He climbs mountains and hikes long trails periodically, and wants to keep in trim for that. He has been "badgering" me for the last couple years to consider going with him to Africa to climb Kilimanjaro. I'm no climber, but he says it is really an easy one that I could do, though it is a pretty high rock. Baldy Mtn., on Philmont Scout Ranch in NM is the highest I've done, at 12,441'.

When my wife and I began the 7 -9 -3 regimen, many years ago, I was at 173# (I'm 6' 2") and was healthy already, but recognized the importance for our long term health. She weighed about 140#, roughly. First thing we did was had bloodwork done. Mine came back pretty good ...... HDL, LDL, etc. My TGs were around 140, AIR. Scary thing was that hers was over 500! We ate the same, but her's was much more elevated. We had bloodwork done every six months for several years after beginning the regimen, and our LDL levels dropped rapidly, the HDL levels increased much more slowly, and the TGs dropped consistently, too. I actually dropped so much weight that my friends began thinking I had a debilitating illness. I did get pretty gaunt looking, and learned to temper my diet with just enough carbs to maintain myself at about 160-165#. My TGs dropped and my HDL rose to the point that they were exactly equal, on one blood test. Her TGs fell back to completely healthy levels, and she maintains now at about 120#, a very petite lady.

Bottom line, it changed our lives. I've been blessed to have never been hospitalized but once in my life, that to have tonsils removed at age 10. She has only been hospitalized for childbirth, twice. We count our blessings, and do what we can to maintain. I STILL have a struggle with the temptation of fresh-made pecan pie, tho' !! blush

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/10/17 09:15 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,

At this stage you're probably over concerned with your carb intake. Development of detrimental conditions such as fat regain is a very adaptive process, requiring a chronic nutritional pattern. It's actually very difficult to gain fat, if you're aware of the specific biochemical processes required, which are easily avoided. Let's explore what is required, in the biochemical sense.

Heavy carb-based patterns cause the creation of glycogen. Glycogen is the complex carb created by the body to store glucose on a short term basis. It is stored in the muscles and liver, and each molecule of glycogen contains three molecules of water. Once you fill up these stores, you have the conversion of glucose to triglyceride, the first step in the conversion to body fat. So, body fat gain requires a chronic overcompensation of glycogen, all due to excessive carb intake. Now, if your weight is stable, (Lipostasis) you're not overcompensating glycogen. So, if you decide to eat a lot of carbs, such as pecan pie, it's no big deal, as long as it doesn't become part of a chronic, high carb pattern. I myself have chowed down on carbs for a 10 day period, switched back To a lipolytic pattern, and after a couple of days of glycogen depletion found my weight right back to normal. Glycogen creation and depletion is the explanation for much of people's weight flux, (water weight) as it's impossible to gain and lose fat at such a high rate. My real point is that periodic, massive intake of carbs is beneficial, in a metabolic sense. I also suggest periodically being lipolytic, as it enables reduction of detrimental conditions that develop during a carb based (lipogenic) pattern, even though these conditions may not be noticeable when your weight is stable. Chronic, carb based patterns are notorious for immunosuppression, so breaking your pattern both ways is very beneficial.

Pecan pie is one of my favorite "glycogen recompensation" foods. Like a whole pie in one day.

Many years ago I made it up Whitney, despite the altitude sickness.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/10/17 10:17 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All that you've said, I can relate to. I have experienced the results you describe, but never understood why. Knowing the reasons why helps to reinforce the will to keep at it. I have a goal of killing a limit of doves on my 100th birthday. I understand fully the odds against that happening, but I intend to do all that is within my power to enable that to happen, as it pertains to my health.

Thanks, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like an admirable goal, I'd like to do that as well. I have another 100 year old birthday goal in mind as well, it involves a willing 50 year old woman.

Regards
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are willing to take 50 yr. old woman with you to shoot doves?!!! shocked

You are such a romantic, Ken. wink

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive heard Parkinson's disease can also be caused by getting hit in the head too many times. The guy I used to box with came down with it and I felt he blamed me. I should have come down with it if getting hit in the head is the cause. He used to whip me like I was a red headed step child.

I used to take care of myself but now I'm 78 with a bad heart and crippled up because I came out last in a 6 car (one 18 wheeler)crash. I figure I won't live much longer cause I should have been killed already so I'm going to eat what I want.

Last edited by pooch; 02/11/17 01:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch,

Two years ago, my mother had heart surgery, including valve replacement and several bypasses. She had also function issues, with the doctors considering installation of a Pacemaker. It took her doctor telling her that my nutritional advice was correct, in terms of following the fat-based Paleodiet being the most beneficial. She changed, and has since regained complete heart function. She now goes to the gym and weight trains three times a week, lost all her excess body fat, and has excellent blood values. She is now very active with excellent health. She is 78 years old.

Regards
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

PD
Is hard to understand and tuff to watch a love one suffer through it. Lost my father in law this past September to PD.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.