April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ithaca1, battle, Hammergun, David Williamson, rtw, 1 invisible), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,984
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#471484 02/04/17 12:58 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an AH Fox Grade A with top slide safety. It does not side to safe when the breech is opened but does work manually. I assume someone has removed a push rod but I am unfamiliar with the inside workings of this gun. Is this an easy fix and where might I get parts?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The part installed at the factory looks like a plain old nail, about six penny, trimmed to length. Plain as in not galvanized.

It's not a big deal to install, but the need to remove the sears to pull a fox stock makes it tedious. I would leave the sears out while you fit the length because it may take a few attempts to get it right. Maybe someone will measure one that is out of their gun to get you started. But like everything with these guns, you'll probably have to tweak the fit.

Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not familiar with six penny. Would you please explain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,

That's interesting. Thanks for the link.

Hammergun,

Are removing the sears fairly straight forward?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes, except you will feel like you need three hands.There is a set screw that retains the sear pin. You will see it when you remove the floorplate. Remove the screw that holds the sear spring and drive the sear pin out.

The hard part is not damaging the corners of the stock inletting because while you're doing all this you will have a loose stock flopping around. I put the frame in the vise belly up and support the stock on something padded. Or you could have someone hold the stock for you. Just go slow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The AH fox site has photos and descriptions showing the process to remove the action from the stock.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would bet many gunsmiths have the original pins in stock. Many clay shooters remove them to prefer a manual safety. I could probably get a pin from my gunsmith.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leave it as-is. Manual safety is a good thing. A semi-auto has no automatic safety.

Last edited by John Roberts; 02/04/17 08:39 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Leave it as-is. Manual safety is a good thing. A semi-auto has no automatic safety.

Yep, I've removed the auto safety from all of my SxS and O/U so all of my safeties for my various semi-auto, pump, bolt, SxS and O/U rifles, pistols and shotguns work the same.

My concern - and I've seen it happen - is that when one shoots an auto-safety gun regularly and then uses a firearm with a manual safety they very often fail to engage the manual safety. If all safeties are manual you get in the habit of always engaging it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.