May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, LRF, 1 invisible), 885 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,850
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
bghntr416 #470762 01/26/17 01:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bghntr416
It's "death by a thousand cuts" here in Kalifornia. There are always a few guys out there that figure the latest regulation is not really a big deal. And maybe it isn't. But they keep adding up and we keep losing shooters and hunters, in this state for sure. And it has become almost ridiculously easy for "them" (the anti's and GC zealots) to pass the next piece of legislation. The anti's have realized how easy it is to divide and conquer us. They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I believe you are right in terms of the lead ban and other regulations on hunting and trapping.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
vangulil #470766 01/26/17 01:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to two NY Times eagle articles. Interesting reading. They make the idea of a lead shot ban to protect eagles seem absurd.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/15/us/ap-us-bold-eagles.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/magazine/bald-eagle-national-burden.html

Last edited by vangulil; 01/26/17 02:18 PM.
L. Brown #470767 01/26/17 02:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Indeed, the horse is LONG dead when it comes to shooting lead at waterfowl. Or, for that matter, anywhere waterfowl are likely to congregate. No use fighting a war that we lost long ago.

I disagree it is a dead horse. There are holes in the logic of the danger of lead and the volume of lead. While I agree the reintroduction of lead for general and unrestricted use on waterfowl is not going to happen there are holes that can be reasonably exploited.

Already most if not all see that use in the uplands where concentrations do not occur are not at issue.

Current law prohibits it for waterfowl everywhere even though there are many situations where the accumulation of lead and ingestion by waterfowl is not an issue.

Current law allows use of lead on non waterfowl species where upland and waterfowl species overlap and science has not shown that to be the major issue it appeared to show waterfowling with lead was.

From these points I show that some lead (very limited) is not a major waterfowl issue and I posit that the limited authorization of use of lead for waterfowl harvest is possible without creating the significant damage to waterfowl.

The issue of what enforceable restricted use of lead on waterfowl could be made is actually out there. Rateher than diver this thread I will start another.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Owenjj3 #470898 01/27/17 07:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Bald eagles are well known to have different digestive physiology than just about any other avian predator. They have unusually high acid content in the digestive tract, the theory is it developed in response to the eagles penchant for eating carion, when available, as a way to protect the birds gut while consuming spoiled meat. Owls seem to be almost impervious to lead poisoning, by way of comparison.
It makes Bald Eagles more sensitive to lead in the environment.
THAT SAID, nobody has been able to demonstrate that using lead ammunition has hurt eagle populations in the last 50 years.
I'm all for good science, and not knee jerk regulation.

Best,
Ted

Owenjj3 #470906 01/27/17 09:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is very interesting, Ted. Thanks.

I'm somehow not surprised that owls are somewhat immune to lead poisoning. My experiences with Great Horned Owls have caused me to believe that they are some kinda tough critters. They are far above a big Red-tailed Hawk in terms of hunting ability and flying strength. I have seen, oft times, a mature redtail catch a rabbit, in the middle of a corn field I was harvesting, and attempt to carry the rabbit to the edge of the field to eat. It can barely fly, and will only be able to get a few feet above the ground with it's catch. OTOH, a big owl can catch a rabbit sized animal and fly in a very steep climb to the top of a tall nearby tree with it.

My apologies if this is too far off topic. I'll hush.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Owenjj3 #470911 01/27/17 10:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to additional information about species that are immune to lead poisoning:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4961898/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Stan,
Bald eagles are well known to have different digestive physiology than just about any other avian predator. They have unusually high acid content in the digestive tract, the theory is it developed in response to the eagles penchant for eating carion, when available, as a way to protect the birds gut while consuming spoiled meat. Owls seem to be almost impervious to lead poisoning, by way of comparison.
It makes Bald Eagles more sensitive to lead in the environment.
THAT SAID, nobody has been able to demonstrate that using lead ammunition has hurt eagle populations in the last 50 years.
I'm all for good science, and not knee jerk regulation.

Best,
Ted

In the last 50 years, there's been a veritable explosion in the eagle population: From only a few hundred breeding pairs to the current five figure level. Unfortunately, although we usually focus on wildlife as a species, the bald eagle is a separate case. Highly visible, our national symbol. And obviously, because there are so many more of them these days--in places where they hadn't been seen in a very long time--more sick birds will be found.

It would seem that woodcock also have a high tolerance for lead. Studies have shown that the lead in their systems far exceeds the level that would be fatal to waterfowl. Of course in the case of woodcock, it's particularly difficult to determine the source of the lead, given what and how they eat. If there's lead in the soil, since they probe for worms, it's quite likely they'll ingest lead. Analyzing the lead, researchers note that it COULD come from lead shot. But none of the birds examined in the study in question had any lead pellets in their digestive systems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Grouse Guy
Here is a link to additional information about species that are immune to lead poisoning:

Grade school level pablum, wretched up with the purpose to grind a specific axe.

Note in the second paragraph, where lead is referred to as an "environmental chemical". This is a deliberate misdirection, that implies that humans manufacture lead, when, it is, of course, an element, found widely, and in the environment since before there were humans.

The article is filled with similar distortions, intended to mis-inform.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear tell eagles taste almost like chicken....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Grouse Guy

This statement is absolutely false, and just goes to prove that Grouse Guy Ben(the deer poacher) Deeble doesn't even read the anti-lead crap he dumps here.

But this is nothing new, because Ben has demonstrated in the past that he is too stupid and too agenda driven to digest the material he dumps here anyway.

This paper is not about species that are immune to lead poisoning. The subject is lead poisoning in humans. The only non-human species within this paper are where it attempts to compare lead toxicity in humans to the physiology of mice and rats.

Nice to have some unethical slob hunter who gets arrested for trespassing and shooting game out of season lecturing us about what ammo to use based upon links to papers he obviously has not even read.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.