May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (dogon, 3 invisible), 597 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,068
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
And another thing....asking for a tax is an admission of guilt.

I don't often agree with jOe but he's on the money here. Every tax, regardless of form or amount, should always be resisted. Why? Because the government will ALWAYS waste the money. The only way to encourage careful government spending is to limit the available funds.

When I dream I dream that sensible people using rational thought and accurate science would make sensible laws and regulations. But as I said, in my dreams.

In real life, we have to fight the way we have been fought against....in ways that appeal to feelings in people who don't hunt that get them on board. Want to get lead back in use in a more widespread way. Get the ban lifted on those giant flying crap machines, Canada geese. The ones that have, over the last 30 years, stopped migrating and decided life is good on the no shoot zones of public parks, playgrounds, golf courses and other open spaces frequented by the masses. Get their populations under control.

Also on snows that are devastating wide swaths of the north during their summering. Start showing what the over population of these birds are doing.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/27/17 10:09 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Old saying in US journalism: "Write for the Kansas City milkman."I know a bit about Kansas, the wide open spaces mostly where a consensus for a common interest could be made if launched properly in careful hands. Start small with a model for others to look at. Kansas isn't a place folks expect to find foolishness. If it works in Kansas, others say, why couldn't it in (fill in the space). You're going nowhere if you're scaring people.

This sounds good, but are there other considerations? How about the last US 'popular' vote. On the one hand, the single state of california could be seen as the lone reason that hill won the pop vote. That point alone is a fact, but it's the meaningless talking point that drives the 'conversation', at least as much as it's the flavor of the week.

Of any state, doesn't cali drive the national mantra about enviro ideology. Back to starting small. Have you ever seen such a campaign to delegitimize the will of so many people who voted for the current President? Doesn't the electoral college represent 'Kansas', when cali spots the dem a 20% head start to 270, the second voting closes?

On a side note, I'd rather leave gramps old five hundred dollar beater in the closet than buy some stamp or permit for it to shoot lead for some romantic notion. Whats given in the way of permit will certainly be taken at some point. The main difference would be that places like cali would teach us what would now happen to the old duck gun when it comes time to pass it on to the next generation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The tax stamp could easily be restricted to be spent in waterfowl enhancement only. BATF already is use to special taxes like for full auto guns and that goes back to 1934 as I recall. Do we just amend it so lead shot on waterfowl sing black powder if needed. Just get your foot in the door. RST could make a run of black powder ammo for the first year. Start small, be honest about it and make it like a reenactment of how duck hunting was a hundred years ago.

I'd pay $100.00 a year to use lead shot in my doubles. I don't want it tied to just one gun because for all my hunting needs I use several guns. A100/yr fee is nothing when you figure out all the other associated cost of duck hunting. You have nothing to loose. It would be voluntary. Like paying a hundred bucks for the right not to have to use more expensive ammo and enjoy our old doubles at the same time. Hell if I could get a lifetime permit I'd pay ten grand for myself and my sons.

And calling me a liberal is like calling Al Sharptin a white supremest. I was lol when I read that. My wife who is much closer to one was also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why not just buy bismuth or ITX shot?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cost and different ballistics. Not the same as lead. Bismuth is not easy to find in a lot of places. Why not cut your lower leg off and get a prosthetic leg instead of taking care of an infection after all the prosthetic will let you kind of walk Bismuth and ITX are a lead shot replacement, a prosthetic substitute, with real draw backs. Bismuth is a lesser replacement. A step down in effectiveness at a much higher cost, $180/7 pounds verses $40/25. Lead is 100% double gun safe. I won't use ITX shot in a classic double and it also is not cheap.

Did you know that the braintrust in the US military had decided planes would not need machine guns in the future. They tried it for a short while and found out rockets could not replace the machine gun. You had to expend several 100k rockets to do what a few hundred rounds of 50 cal could do. So they went back to putting machine guns on planes. Progress is not always progress in the real sense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Indeed, the horse is LONG dead when it comes to shooting lead at waterfowl. Or, for that matter, anywhere waterfowl are likely to congregate. No use fighting a war that we lost long ago.

I disagree it is a dead horse. There are holes in the logic of the danger of lead and the volume of lead. While I agree the reintroduction of lead for general and unrestricted use on waterfowl is not going to happen there are holes that can be reasonably exploited.

Already most if not all see that use in the uplands where concentrations do not occur are not at issue.

Current law prohibits it for waterfowl everywhere even though there are many situations where the accumulation of lead and ingestion by waterfowl is not an issue.

Current law allows use of lead on non waterfowl species where upland and waterfowl species overlap and science has not shown that to be the major issue it appeared to show waterfowling with lead was.

From these points I show that some lead (very limited) is not a major waterfowl issue and I posit that the limited authorization of use of lead for waterfowl harvest is possible without creating the significant damage to waterfowl.

The issue of what enforceable restricted use of lead on waterfowl could be made is actually out there. Rather than diver this thread I will start another.

This may almost be a fantasy, but then again.

Is there a possibility of some limited authorization for some vintage guns?

If so what limitations could reasonably be made and gotten implemented which provided some freedom to use vintage guns without creating too great and acceptable use of lead?

I believe we need to go on the offensive and stop spending our energy on defense only and make the anti's start defending instead of simply subverting

Much of current law excludes the use of lead shot where waterfowl and upland overlap. ALL Federal Waterfowl Production Areas (often quite good pheasant hunting, here in the Midwest) are nontox only. Here in Iowa, where our lead shot restrictions are not as comprehensive as they are in South Dakota, all public areas in several entire counties (where most public lands are wetlands) are nontox only. And just about all public wetlands everywhere else in the state are also nontox only, even for pheasants.

I don't think we'll ever get lead back again for waterfowl. For one thing, the enforcement people like the rules as they are because they're relatively easy to enforce. If you're hunting waterfowl, it's strictly nontox. If you're hunting on areas that are nontox only, then no lead. As for vintage guns, there are nontoxic options (like bismuth). More expensive than lead or steel, and I suppose individuals could show that's a burden if they do a LOT of waterfowl hunting with a vintage gun. But since those options do exist, I doubt there will be a lead loophole for vintage guns. Again, difficult to enforce. What's a vintage gun? And since Browning says no steel in any of their Belgian-made classics (Superposed, A-5) and a whole lot of those aren't really "vintage" . . . it quickly becomes very complicated.

I'm more than happy to put the antis on the defensive when it comes to hunting upland birds other than around wetlands. And we're doing a good job of winning there . . . as long as the new head of USF&WS reverses the ban on lead shot put in place by Obama's director.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe they could draw a line similar to the BATF by saying prior to 1899 and proof of manufacture system could be set up. Further if date of manufacture and a system of proof is too hard they could draw the line on Damascus barrels only.

While both those courses of action leave alot of what most of us would hold to be vintage out, nonetheless it would open things a a small bit.

As for additional taxation for the privilege, not sure I like the idea of pricing out those without the same resources I have

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Grouse Guy
Why not just buy bismuth or ITX shot?

Are you willfully obtuse or just slow naturally?

Just kidding. I know your remarks are driven by an ideological bent you are powerless to use common sense and reason to overcome.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
The tax stamp could easily be restricted to be spent in waterfowl enhancement only. BATF already is use to special taxes like for full auto guns and that goes back to 1934 as I recall. Do we just amend it so lead shot on waterfowl sing black powder if needed. Just get your foot in the door. RST could make a run of black powder ammo for the first year. Start small, be honest about it....

This is what I was thinking Jon. I think the dems could easily be on board for this. Have the folks not only agree to backdoor registration, but pay for it. It could also be a path to go completely notox, because it's the same old, if you like your lead, you can keep your lead, if you can afford to jump through hoops.

Just speculating out loud. Besides, haven't you heard, just run some #7 steel through the old gun and all will be just fine, in someone else's world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone has an ideological bent, James. Mine is conservative in many ways, particularly with the environment and lead. It doesn't prevent me from suggesting a proven change formula to a thread inquiring of a way to benefit members in the public interest. A collective urban-rural, pro- and anti-gun ideology removed Canada's long gun registry because it made common sense. We opened the tent and respected a wide range of opinions.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.