April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Pwog, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Indeed, the horse is LONG dead when it comes to shooting lead at waterfowl. Or, for that matter, anywhere waterfowl are likely to congregate. No use fighting a war that we lost long ago.

I disagree it is a dead horse. There are holes in the logic of the danger of lead and the volume of lead. While I agree the reintroduction of lead for general and unrestricted use on waterfowl is not going to happen there are holes that can be reasonably exploited.

Already most if not all see that use in the uplands where concentrations do not occur are not at issue.

Current law prohibits it for waterfowl everywhere even though there are many situations where the accumulation of lead and ingestion by waterfowl is not an issue.

Current law allows use of lead on non waterfowl species where upland and waterfowl species overlap and science has not shown that to be the major issue it appeared to show waterfowling with lead was.

From these points I show that some lead (very limited) is not a major waterfowl issue and I posit that the limited authorization of use of lead for waterfowl harvest is possible without creating the significant damage to waterfowl.

The issue of what enforceable restricted use of lead on waterfowl could be made is actually out there. Rather than diver this thread I will start another.

This may almost be a fantasy, but then again.

Is there a possibility of some limited authorization for some vintage guns?

If so what limitations could reasonably be made and gotten implemented which provided some freedom to use vintage guns without creating too great and acceptable use of lead?

I believe we need to go on the offensive and stop spending our energy on defense only and make the anti's start defending instead of simply subverting

Last edited by old colonel; 01/26/17 02:20 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to frame it as a historical recreation of our heritage, do it for the children, relate it to keeping wildlife as a valuable part of our environment and figure out some way to make it LBGT or hit on some other popular current cause. Maybe we could invite Liberals to hold targets for us.

I wold like to see a one-three day, lead only season for guns made before the end of WWII. Or a special tax stamp that allows you to use lead all season. If they can have carbon offsets and sell them, why not lead use offsets? A stamp for $100.00-250.00 would be doable. Be a heck of a lot easier than bismuth, Ecoshot and all the other alternatives to lead use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good question. I know empirically that pragmatic approaches cutting across ideological lines are the easiest and fastest ways to get things done. The president's declarations and lock on both houses and majority of governors indicate there couldn't be a better time for adjustments.

My experience with changing how society works has shown me that it's not so much what you do as how you do it, and success in any pioneering or legislative initiative depends on absolutely no mistakes in the planning, consultation and execution. One mistake may stop you in your tracks.

It would be fantasy to attempt "authorization" in Canada's firearms legislation for what you're proposing because the use of lead is permitted except for waterfowling but I wonder if it would be possible making a local precedent; there are thousands of those under the Second.

My point is to not wake up sleeping dogs but give communities a voice to support activities as benign as traditionalists shooting flintlocks and muskets during specified times before or during hunting seasons as we do now for youth, blackpowder and archers. Start small and ease it up with acceptance.

This is broad brush, Michael. Success comes from consulting widely and collegially with common sense for a common purpose. Like the Masons and Lions, DAR and Legions. People like to be useful taking their turn at community oars. Your notion isn't fantasy. It's how our countries generally manage.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY -great idea. I suggest that we make transgender illegal immigrants the posterpersons for lead, and denounce all those opposing the plan for being racist, transphobic xenophobes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
....My experience with changing how society works has shown me that it's not so much what you do as how you do it, and success in any pioneering or legislative initiative depends on absolutely no mistakes in the planning, consultation and execution. One mistake may stop you in your tracks.

It would be fantasy to attempt "authorization" in Canada's firearms legislation for what you're proposing because the use of lead is permitted except for waterfowling but I wonder if it would be possible making a local precedent; there are thousands of those under the Second....

I wonder if it's possible to declare some game birds to be pests, then it wouldn't matter how lead affected them. Some feel that ducks are nothing more than rats with wings, similar with doves? Hmmm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LGF, Could that be Rossie O'Donnell? Did not know she was a illegal immigrant, or as they wish to be called illegal migrant. With no real career she might be glad for the work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
You have to frame it as a historical recreation of our heritage, do it for the children, relate it to keeping wildlife as a valuable part of our environment and figure out some way to make it LBGT or hit on some other popular current cause. Maybe we could invite Liberals to hold targets for us.

I wold like to see a one-three day, lead only season for guns made before the end of WWII. Or a special tax stamp that allows you to use lead all season. If they can have carbon offsets and sell them, why not lead use offsets? A stamp for $100.00-250.00 would be doable. Be a heck of a lot easier than bismuth, Ecoshot and all the other alternatives to lead use.

You sure you're not a liberal.

We sure don't need anymore taxes...what's next free government controlled gunsmithing for clunkers ?

Must be a Kentucky thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And another thing....asking for a tax is an admission of guilt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Special stamps, or limited licenses would never pass muster, IMO. The way to get our foot back in the door with lead shot would be to lobby strongly for use in muzzle loaders. Use the ploy of the antis, get a little at the time.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old saying in US journalism: "Write for the Kansas City milkman."I know a bit about Kansas, the wide open spaces mostly where a consensus for a common interest could be made if launched properly in careful hands. Start small with a model for others to look at. Kansas isn't a place folks expect to find foolishness. If it works in Kansas, others say, why couldn't it in (fill in the space). You're going nowhere if you're scaring people.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.