May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (earlyriser, KY Jon, canvasback, 2 invisible), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,888
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
bghntr416 #470545 01/24/17 07:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's how it works. Stalin, dividing up the spoils at Yalta said to FDR or Churchill or both "How many divisions has the Pope?" Holding back antis is all about the shooting sports making friends, coalitions, showing a broad public interest, not a case of special pleading. Decision-makers have little time for little numbers, those who come alone. Proved time and time again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not discussing Stalin, King. We don't need that here. wink

Last edited by craigd; 01/24/17 07:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Ted:

I always use non-toxic. My favorite load for big game is 6.5 cal in 139 gr. Barnes copper pill. Entirely lethal and only kills what you shoot at, instead of avian scavengers quickly, and your family slowly. Ever wonder why Jr. is so slow???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Grouse Guy
Hey Ted:

I always use non-toxic. My favorite load for big game is 6.5 cal in 139 gr. Barnes copper pill. Entirely lethal and only kills what you shoot at, instead of avian scavengers quickly, and your family slowly. Ever wonder why Jr. is so slow???

Well, Ben, Junior, as you call him, is able to fluently read, write, and speak two languages, and has pretty much since he started school, starting in pre-school, where he was known as a "talker" since, he could communicate with his teachers, in either language, from day one. He was the only one in his class that did. He has been participating in the lake Pepin three speed tour (google it) since he was 6, and holds the youngest self propelled rider title, and will, for a long time to come. Few 6 year olds, ride a 70 pound English three speed, over 80 miles, in the course of a weekend, few adults can, either.

I believe I can handily disprove any notion of "slow" in my son, figuratively, or literally.

As demonstrated by other liberals this week, you also lack the common decency to leave kids be kids, which, will come as no surprise to anybody who knows you. My boy is 10. A clearer notion of who you are as an individual would be hard to demonstrate, and I thank you for showing the board exactly where you are as a man.

He has not had any convictions from Montana fish and game, which, had he held a wildlife biologists position in that state, should have qualified him for some "ward of the state" time, if he had. My opinion.

Care to comment on that, Ben? How much jail time did Montana have you do? And, while we are on the subject, you still haven't answered the original question-did you use non-toxic loads to take the deer you were convicted of shooting out of season?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
...As demonstrated by other liberals this week, you also lack the common decency to leave kids be kids, which, will come as no surprise...

Ted, I'm sure your boy is a million bucks. Probably, g's idea of camo is vagina head gear, blends in with the other marchers. With a bit of luck, when your boy is heading to college, there might be a good eight years of slowing the downward spiral. Please don't send him to a school that requires lego and coloring book skills to graduate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I've been hunting on FWS properties for decades with non-toxic ammo. Easy to do and it is a non-issue to me and many. Kinda like if you are anti-abortion don't have one. The rest of you can and should stay home.

If one is hunting upland birds and you're not around wetlands, nor around fields where doves congregate and there's a lot of shot fall, there's not much reason to use shells that are ballistically inferior to lead.

I expect the incoming director of the USF&WS will reverse the ban with a stroke of the pen. Certainly should do so.

Doves?

SRH

Right. The two situations in which nontox requirements for upland birds seem to make sense are on public lands where waterfowl or doves are hunted. All federal Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA's), for example, require nontox even if you're hunting pheasants and not ducks. Pretty much all state-owned wetlands in Iowa have the same restriction. The situation with doves on public land is similar: You can have a whole lot of shot fall in a relatively small area. Much higher potential for the birds to ingest spent lead shot. The Wisconsin DNR restricts dove hunting on DNR lands to nontox only. Seems reasonable to me. Private land, I'm not in favor of any restrictions on lead when hunting upland birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Ted:

The fact you always use Non Toxic is fine and in part your choice, the reality the science is not really there to prove it is a universal that should apply to everyone-everywhere.

There is little proof that the lead damage you posit has more than a minor impact if at all, especially as you relate to human consumption.

PS to all: Is it really necessary to pick on people's kids for what are inevitably ridiculous points? Most if not all people here have great children they are rightly proud of.

Last edited by old colonel; 01/25/17 11:19 AM. Reason: grammar

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
L. Brown #470618 01/25/17 11:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
...nontox requirements....

....seem to make sense....

....Seems reasonable to me....

I understand it's an old dead horse that you're passionate about, but this seems like a tactic.

Owenjj3 #470619 01/25/17 11:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gone huntin'

Winchester makes a really nice #7 steel shell, very effective for the quail we are finding around here right now.

craigd #470625 01/25/17 12:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dead horse or not, here's my take, craig. The ban should not apply to everyone everywhere. Lead is dead compared to its earlier major role in society. Its perniciousness has been recognized for a long time.

Benjamin Franklin in 1786: "...the Opinion of this mischievious Effort from Lead is at least above Sixty Years old; and you will observe with Concern how long a useful Truth may be known and exist, before it is generally receivd and practisd on

A couple hundred years later, UNCED 1992 came up with its Precautionary Principle: "Where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage, lack of full scientific certainty shall not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent environmental degradation."

Most waterfowlers know of dozens of places where lead could be measured in tons within a gunshot. Nontox should be used in any locales of similar exposure to avians. I've seen dozens of ducks carried off by raptors but never grouse or pheasants.

I speak solely from my experience. If some see it as a tactic, imputing some sort of ulterior motive, I declare a bias for prudence with respect for the game. Larry said the same thing. It's sensible and reasonable to me. The ban should not apply to everyone everywhere.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.