April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#469775 01/19/17 04:30 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You know this stuff (if you're a gun guy) but it never gets fully considered until you're trudging along and you suddenly realize that something is very different. Case in point: my post-Christmas trip to the "old country" this year. I had on a borrowed coat because the weather was "normal" for the first time in about 3-years and what I had brought wasn't quite sufficient. Meaning that it was "real" winter there, the wade in the snow kind of winter. Accordingly, I was wearing long underwear (both tops and bottoms), a heavy shirt, a vest, and a very substantial coat. This significantly affects what length of pull you will need on a shotgun for wing shooting. My Dickinson 28-gauge, which normally fits me shockingly well at 14 3/4-inches, was something of a challenge to mount. If a grouse had flushed at that moment, it would have been dammed-ably hard to hit him.

My solution to all that was thankfully simple (in a part of the world where nothing seems to be simple anymore), and it took the form of a sweet 1939 Ithaca M-37 in 16, a change of shells in a pockets of my game vest, and a short re-familiarization with the mechanics of a pre-war pumpgun. No big deal right? OK, what do you do when you know you're slightly faster with a double and you really want (or need) to succeed the next time a bird launches? With the 37, I took it off-safe in the grousiest of covers to help myself a little bit in the speed department (Pennsylvania grouse never dawdle), but that is seldom a good option (for a number of reasons we also all know). A nice, light game gun that has the appropriate length of pull to mount properly over heavy cloths is clearly the ideal solution here, but how many folks are ready to saw about three quarters of an inch off of their favorite fine birdgun? Not many here, I'm sure. Waterfowlers never have to even consider this particular issue, because the weather is almost always challanging and they dress and equip themselves accordingly. That's not always the case in the uplands.

Is there an ideal solution here (other than buying yet another gun, which I just did)?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/19/17 04:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're a hunter have stock lengths proper for most hunting conditions. Add a removable pad for clays and nice weather. A short LOP and a bit more drop than clay shooting works wonders to add weight to the game bag

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

My solution has been to acquire a different gun for every possible combination of clothing and shooting condition .... which is probably why I shoot like rubbish but they almost all fit me at some point with some stance smile
Jeremy

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Lloyd, if I shot purely at the range in nice weather, my LOP would be about 14 3/8" to 14 1/2". But I mostly shoot while hunting and living up where I do my hunting can be either shirt sleeves or bundled up for sub freezing weather. Thus, my LOP assortment for guns I use regularly ranges from 13 3/4" to 14 1/2". I don't get my shirt in a knot about LOP unless it is less than 13 1/2" or more than 14 1/2".

I'm with Barlett. Another reason for an assortment of guns.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of my vintage doubles are not long enough for me as is, so I add a 1/2" leather lace-on pad. Simple matter for me to pull it off when I have to layer on a lot of clothes, which isn't that often down heah'. Especially this "winter".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I usually just walk off to the side somewhere and throw the gun up a few times to feel if there's any hold adjusting to do. I think for pretty much any hunting, I'll take stuff off and on through the day. Especially with duck hunting, I'll rarely start off wearing the full gear, gotta cool off a bit after lugging and trudging. Then, I might add some more later, otherwise the hunt might have to be cut short if some weather front blows in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is sad to admit that as I get older I not only match type of gun, gauge, ammo, shot size, choke or choke combination, stock selection from several choices for most gun choices, all to my outfit. Such vanity is not attractive but I am such a slave to fashion. I envy my simpler youth with one gun choice, maybe two choices in shot size and of course keen eyesight and reflexes of my youth.

I think we all think too much about what we need to be perfect. Right gun, right ammo, right hunting jacket. Some of my happiest hunting memories are of things which clearly could have been better planned or just happened inspite of my efforts. But if you must by all means buy another gun. Lord knows I've done it before and will do so again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I discovered on the final pheasant hunt of the season 2 weeks ago (high single digits when we started), not only is a shorter than normal LOP a good idea, but also a single trigger. If it's cold enough to wear gloves with much insulation at all, a ST is much easier to operate. So out came the old SKB 12ga; couple roosters in the bag.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 16 gauge RBL came with two recoil pads that come off easy and switch in no time flat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you're one of those people who like recoil pads you can install a 1" recoil pad at 14 3/4" LOP, then install a 1/4" plate for hunting making the LOP 14". Easy to swap.

Last edited by gunmaker; 01/19/17 07:45 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.