April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gankai, LeFusil, David Williamson, Jimmy W, SKB, Replacement), 540 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,132
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike - I believe it is a state-by-state thing. Like in Alabama, it is illegal to hunt turkeys with anything larger than a 10 gauge in virginia, but in Maryland the regulations do not restrict the gauge, just the number of shells in the gun and the shot size.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to try taking and bringing that monster through security and customs here and there. It would be worth the hassle just one time to put it to work in he field.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If anyone is interested in 8 gauge hulls, primed or not primed, a friend has quite a few that he is parting out. I believe the hulls are Remington. The minimum he will sell is 50.
You can contact him at eightbore@hotmail.com for pricing.

David

cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Fun I understand. Pity you can't take a swan or pass shoot a few geese with that monster. That would be real fun.

Maybe he can...in Australia...Geo

Regrettably, not in Victoria or other states for game ie ducks and quail. No such restriction for pest animals. A shame really: ducks shot on the wing inside a bag limit won't know the difference if they were shot with ratshot from a .22 or BBs from a 4 bore.
When I was growing up, we used to have black swans eat emerging oat, wheat and other crops; Dad used to shoot at them with a .22 - not legally, but farmers did what they had to do on private land to protect their livelihood. Oh for a 8 bore back then!

Last edited by cadet; 01/02/17 08:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From what I can decipher in the regs, one can use an 8 ga for everything but waterfowl in Idaho as long as the case is not more than 3.5" in length.

I'd need to look into it a bit more in depth, before the above statement is taken as gospel.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still O.K. to hunt ducks and geese; in fact anything, with an 8 here in the U.K. . Just have to use non-lead shot in England and Wales for waterfowl but lead still O.K. for anything in Scotland if not over wetlands.

What powders do you have available to you? I have information for American Alliant/Hercules Blue Dot, French Vectan AO and British Nobel 82. Don't know what components are available to you in Australia. I will help if I can. Did you chase up that lead to the 8 bore loading book I sent you? Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's nice to see that the Scots have taken a common sense approach to the lead shot deal, i.e., no lead shot, but only over wetlands. I could easily accept that concession regarding the great lead scare, but for it to be illegal here to shoot a duck or a goose flying over a grain field where you happen also to be hunting other legal birds is absolutely ridiculous!! As someone said earlier, the dead birds in the bag don't know the difference as to what they were shot with!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll agree with that Perry as at a pheasant shoot ducks may come over and changing cartridges without changing position seems a bit pointless.

Don't agree with the bit about Scottish common sense since they had their own parliament. They have now taken the move to require a certificate in order to hold a low power air rifle. They will only issue certificates for vermin control and proper target shooting on ranges. Use one to plink at tin cans in the garden and it's off to court. Odd that I can take my rifle to Scotland to shoot deer but would have to get a special visitor's permit to take an air rifle to shoot rats. Since having their own parliament they have come up with some weird legislation. And don't even think of carrying a knife. O.K. to carry one when out deer stalking but don't think of calling in at the shop on your way to or from. Lagopus.....

cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus

What powders do you have available to you? I have information for American Alliant/Hercules Blue Dot, French Vectan AO and British Nobel 82. Don't know what components are available to you in Australia. I will help if I can. Did you chase up that lead to the 8 bore loading book I sent you? Lagopus.....

Someone I know has a photocopy of the Douglas McDougall book; at the price, I won't be buying a legitimate copy!
ADI powders are the generally most available here; some are sold elsewhere as Hodgdon powders. At the moment I'm using BP, as mine's BP proofed, but some lower pressure smokeless loads might be good for case life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

8 gauges have been legal for turkeys in Georgia and South Carolina. I took a turkey with a Parker 8 gauge and it was a very memorable hunt.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.