April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Karl Graebner, Jeremy Pearce, GMCS, SKB, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,767
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is an example of the Federal government doing what it is suppose to do - protect the people. Mergers like this, that significantly reduce competition between market leaders, results in you and I paying more for products and services and only benefits the shareholders. I also believe prices will rise, layoffs will occur, service will suffer, and product variety will be reduced in an effort to increase shareholder value without any thought of the customer. As a businessman for over 40 years I know how important competition is at controlling product pricing inflation.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

I went to visit some old friends at Cabela's, they were all gone. I got a bad feeling there, as did my wife, like they didn't like their customers. My wife thought it like going into Targets. I think Cabela's is going to down size considerably.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A "bad feeling"?? In a spooky or sick kind of way?? It's a blasted sporting goods store Pooch!! The merchandise sold by Cabela's is in my opinion better quality than that sold at BP. I wish the deal would fall through and Cabelas would continue as is without getting BP in the mix.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing is certain, the Gun Library at Cabela's is bleeding money. They have hundreds, if not thousands of firearms that they bought poorly and are not selling, nor will sell, for anywhere near the prices they are asking. Money pit, big time.

The Big Auction is coming.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
A "bad feeling"?? In a spooky or sick kind of way?? It's a blasted sporting goods store Pooch!! The merchandise sold by Cabela's is in my opinion better quality than that sold at BP. I wish the deal would fall through and Cabelas would continue as is without getting BP in the mix.

Bad feeling like the sales people didn't like their work or the customers. You could feel it when you walked through the door. Shop where you want to, I just like the atmosphere at Bass Pro better.

Last edited by pooch; 01/02/17 09:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
One thing is certain, the Gun Library at Cabela's is bleeding money. They have hundreds, if not thousands of firearms that they bought poorly and are not selling, nor will sell, for anywhere near the prices they are asking. Money pit, big time.

The Big Auction is coming.
JR

Buying guns, particularly these expensive ones requires a higher level of gun knowledge and experience then you find on the floor of a big box store.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yup- here are a few examples of their "Fubars" from the Gun Library at the Grandville MI store-- an Ideal Grade 16 gauge DT, Ext, at $2650 asking price.. cracks at the lock and both tangs, rust pits on the barrels near the splinter forearm,dents also-- and the barrels were cut from 30" to 26&3/4"-- and here's the "kicker"-- it is a 20 gauge, not a 16- FW series of course-- want another example, just in the double shotgun realm-- OK- a "pre-Flues" Ithaca - a New Ithaca Gun 12 gauge hammerless with Damascus barrels 12 gauge listed as a Ithaca NID - and for only $2750-- it is a Grade 3, apparently. Try to tell their GL "dudes" where they are in error is like shoveling shit against the incoming tides--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't say I disagree with what is being said here. However I don't think they can continue doing business as usual. There have been some good examples of areas that need repair. I also heard that one reason Cabelas was hurting was that they weren't catering to the younger/more athletic crowd which BP and Dick's were good at.
Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

I go into the Gun Library when I need a good laugh. I hit the sales rack outside it looking for good buys. Problem is that no one can know everything and to buy long guns, pistols, surplus and C&R stuff is beyond anyone's abilities. I do OK buying Shotguns, fair on rifles but loose my butt on handguns. They might do better buying estates where large number of guns might help them if they over pay for some of them.

I bought a Remington Model 12, Remington Special pump gun with a tang sight, in mint condition for 15% of its real value. Heck the sight was worth more than a hundred alone. Reason it was on the sales rack was I was told the ammo was no longer made. I asked for their lowest, final sale price with no right to return it and they cut it in half again. I bought it out of petty cash in my pocket. My Winchester Special ammo is the perfect substitution for the Remington Special ammo.

My son bought a Gallery Special .22 short, Remington pump gun for $200 off the sales rack. Not mint it was worth three or four times the asking price. They told him that no one shoot shorts much any more and you can not hunt with shorts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do miss the Gun Library, nuggets show up ever so often. I would imagine if this economy picks up it will be harder for these stores to get good help. I would hate to try to support a family on a retail clerk's salary. So many of the people I worked with had had better jobs but the recession drove them to any job they could find.

Last edited by pooch; 01/03/17 02:19 AM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.