May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Karl Graebner, JDH, 1 invisible), 697 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,602
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently acquired an 8 bore gun. When I went to load for it, I found resources like components and load data thin on the ground, and equipment eye-wateringly expensive. Another thread gave me the idea that we could consolidate 8g loading knowledge here.

I got Tom Armbrust's book off lulu.com (only a couple of dollars as a PDF), imported Remington industrial hulls from precision reloading, a 21mm (for my bore runs 9/1, about .815") wad punch from eBay. I'm starting with a 2oz / 5dram BP load separated by stiff card and cork floor tile wads. I "peeled" the industrial case heads of their second layer with a mallet, chisel and carpenters nail pincers instead of resizing (however lagopus was kind enough to supply a set of drawings for a resizer; I also suspect a 23.5mm hole drilled in a piece of steel could do the job), and have found that my overshot cards are a secure enough friction fit without need of a roll crimp for my single barrel gun, especially as the cases I have are a little burned at the mouth, so have some constriction too.

What else do others know?

Last edited by cadet; 01/01/17 11:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cadet,

I was in the same boat when I bought my first 8 gauge about 5 years ago. I had to do some hunting to find loads, components, and the "how to" to actually put it all together. Tom Ambrust's book, along with some helpful forum members, put me on the right track.

I currently load both BP and nitro loads for the gun, but using two different processes. Here is what I settled on -

Black Powder: I went "old school" on the BP loads. First, I had Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company (http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/in...ts%20Prices.pdf) make me 20 brass cases. They can be made to whatever dimensions you need. The cases are pricey at $13/each, but I have been told to expect to be able to load them 50+ times. The cases are really high quality.

For the BP loads, I shoot a 2 oz, 6 dram load. Using the RMC cases, I use Cheddite 209 primers, Circle Wad 8 gauge 1/2" fiber cards, Circle Wad 8 gauge 1/8" nitro cards, and Circle Wad 8 gauge overshot cards. I use Goex Fg (single F) blackpowder and whatever brand of appropriately-sized shot I have on-hand. I seal the cartridge head with Duco Cement.

To load the rounds I use a "load kit" I purchased from RMC for about $100 (see website above). The only item not included in the kit is the "dipper" to volume measure the powder and shot. I bought mine off of eBay.

Loading is pretty straightforward using the kit. I'm not especially fast, and it probably takes me an hour to load 15 rounds rounds.

Nitro Loads: I'm probably "cheating" with my nitro as I load them on a single-stage MEC loader in a similar fashion to my other nitro loads (loaded on MEC grabbers.) Tom Armbrust put me in touch with a gentlemen who sells custom 8 gauge presses. The press is reconditioned older/heavier MEC single stage press that came already mounted with 8 gauge resizer/crimper/etc. I say I "cheated" as the press was set-up when it arrived. I was loading as soon as I had the thing mounted on my workbench.

The downside was that the ready-to-go press was not cheap, but worth it considering the (lack of a) hassle factor to get everything set up (and to be honest, what I already had in the gun). I can dig up the name of the gentlemen selling the presses if anyone is interested.

In terms of loads, I shoot a smaller 1 and 5/8 ounce nitro load using Hogdon Clays powder. The 8 gauge wads were sourced from Ballistics Products (http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Reloading-Components/departments/271/). For hulls, I use Winchester 8 gauge industrial hulls also sourced from BP. The sizer in the press removes the band of brass that would otherwise prevent them from being loaded in the shotgun.

My reloading process is really the same as any other single stage press, just more shot and powder. Reloading new hulls is straightforward, but the reusing/reloading the "used" hulls can be tough as the hulls tend to stick a bit in the press. The nitro process is easier than the BP and I can do about 50 rounds per hour.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, is there any reason you can't load nitro powder in the brass cases? Is your eight gauge a Lindner Daly? Steel or Damascus? Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

What will you use your eight for? I struggle to use my tens a lot and figure if I had a eight they would get even less use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 8 gauge was made by Schaefer & Son of Boston. It is a fairly early A&D gun weighing just under 14 lbs with 34" barrels. I wish I had a Daly 8.

KY Jon - I shot some clays with the gun just this past week. Everyone always gets a big kick (no pun intended) shooting the eight. Actually the recoil is surprisingly tame due to the gun weight.

I guess you could hunt a turkey with the gun, but migratory game is out. It is really shame that the big 8 can't have a few more days in the blind. To be honest, it is ridiculous. A modern 12 gauge auto shooting 3.5" magnums has more firepower, and a 5 duck limit is a 5 duck limit, regardless of what you shoot them with.

Ken

cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
What will you use your eight for? I struggle to use my tens a lot and figure if I had a eight they would get even less use.

Fun. Why? Why not!

Last edited by cadet; 01/01/17 10:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fun I understand. Pity you can't take a swan or pass shoot a few geese with that monster. That would be real fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Fun I understand. Pity you can't take a swan or pass shoot a few geese with that monster. That would be real fun.

Maybe he can...in Australia...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Alabama, and I would guess other states, anything over 10 ga. is prohibited on resident, as well as migratory game.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken.
Virgina limits ALL hunting to 10 and smaller. No 8 ga turkeys.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.