Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all, new to the site and needed some help. I have a double rifle that I am sending to an auction company here in Ontario Canada and I can't find much relating to value. Need at least a starting point.
It has the P. Wesley and son name and the Shaftsbury address. 577 Express. Bores are bright as anything I have seen. There may be indications that the barrel was polished at some point and blackened, as the address is tough to read.
New here so I am not sure how to add pics. Can someone indicate how to add pics and I will follow up with them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jordy
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Jordy
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

No one? Nothing.... need some help from the experts!!

Jordy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm also Canadian and have followed the double shotgun market for the last 10 years.

If I was trying to sell the above gun and wanted to get the best outcome for me, I would get it to sale in the US. Canadian market for vintage SxS is typically 25-30% less than US. The collapse of our dollar against the US dollar in the last two years has just exaggerated that to our benefit if you are selling. The market for a gun like that is small in the US....it's minuscule up here.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/03/17 11:22 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Completely agree Canvasback, any idea on the broker fees or who would actually do that?

Jordy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have sent several guns in the last 18 months to the US via Borderview, based in the Greater Vancouver area. The have offices on both sides, and specialize in this. Although mostly I think their business is product coming north.

Rough cost is around $300-$400 US all in, IIRC, and that includes a percentage charged on gun value. But I'm a bit hazy as I have been the seller and the buyer (who I know well) is picking up the tab. Sending it to an auction house on spec would be different, but how, I don't know.

So $400 US sounds like a lot until you start doing the numbers on a gun worth more than $1500 US. Because up here, a $1500 US SxS shotgun will get you $1100 Canadian (which is $850 US). (Those are my estimates). Obviously as you go higher in value, the logic becomes more and more unassailable.

One difficulty to selling direct to a buyer is the common expectation in the US for a 3 day inspection period. Obviously, that becomes logistically impossible. Dealers and auction houses again would be a bit different.

If I was really set on doing it, I would get a complete set of measurements together, a great set of photos that clearly show both the good and the bad, and I would get in touch with Kirby Hoyt at Vintage Doubles.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/03/17 12:55 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as US value goes, I would get on the Nitro Express forums (dedicated to double rifles) and talk with those guys.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for all the info. much appreciated.

Jordy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting gun. Why are you selling and how much do you want?

LOL Should have said that to start!

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the usual details are needed to even ballpark the value of this gun.
Pictures of the flats (proofmarks), bore condition, weight and measurements, chamber length (there are at least three lengths of 577 chambers) etc.
Looks like a good gun and the 577BPE is a hoot to shoot - assuming it is not a nitro gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.