May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (LGF, HalfaDouble, AGS, 2 invisible), 687 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,945
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tamid Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I've been photographing all my guns to catalogue them properly for appraisal and dug out my Savage 311 which I purchased new in 1973. It was my only shotgun for 16 years and I still use it occasionally. I used it hard in its early days and I'm now on my third butt stock having split the others. Threw it in the trunk, shot ducks before school in the morning and then headed out right after school ended in the afternoon, often with a teacher/hunter. It hung on a gun rack in the mud room in exposed daylight and in those days I don't remember cleaning it very often. Those were different days but I digress.

What I noticed is the cyanide case colouring on the 311 remains very strong and vibrant on all exposed surfaces showing very little wear. I have not had a charcoal/bone case hardened gun for anywhere near the time I've had the 311 and it got me wondering if one method is more durable than the other?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think durability of case colours is entirely in the lacquer used to protect them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

agreed, chemically applied colors seem to stay longer and brighter...plus, lots of exposure to direct sunlight helps case colors to fad and eventually disappear, except in hidden areas...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I beleive that Cyanide colors are not as durable (generally speaking) as bone charcoal. But, specifics of the process and the type of steel can influence this i am sure.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never seen a Cyanide colored gun I thought was as attractive as a Bone/Charcoal one. Plus my understanding is the Bone/Charcoal gives a deeper case to the hardening itself than does the Cyanide process. My personal preference is for the old standard bone/charcoal, regardless of longevity.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know the process used by Folsom on the Baker guns from 1919-1929, but their colors did not look like the earlier Baker Gun and Forging Co. bone/charcoal case colors. The Folsom colors were darker and unusually durable . I see a high percentage of the Folsom made Batavia Leaders with still dark and bright colors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've noticed that a lot of the cheaper Hunter Arms Fulton and Fulton Special guns with their cyanide colors retain more vibrant colors than their better quality L.C. Smith cousins which had bone charcoal case colors. I am, of course, taking overall condition of the guns into consideration here. I also think Daryl is right about the Folsom Bakers vs. the earlier Baker guns. I still have my first shotgun, a Stevens model 220 single shot 20 gauge which has cyanide case colors that are quite strong and vibrant despite the gun having seen a lot of use.

But I agree with Miller that bone charcoal colors are much more attractive, even when somewhat worn. I don't think it takes a great deal of care to maintain case colors though, and I feel that somewhat acidic or salty perspiration from your hands probably does more damage than sunlight ever could. Because of this, a wax or clear lacquer coating is probably helpful as long as the wax used does not contain abrasives. A Thompson/Center Hawkin flintlock I own is over 40 years old, and despite a lot of usage and carry, the colors are very strong with no more care than the usual hot water cleaning and oiling after the gun is dried. This includes the areas around the pan and frizzen that get coated with corrosive black powder fouling.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
I beleive that Cyanide colors are not as durable (generally speaking) as bone charcoal. But, specifics of the process and the type of steel can influence this i am sure.

Not arguing with your experience, but, mine is the exact opposite on Darne shotguns. I have handled few (none, truth be known) from the pre war era of bone pack hardening that retain a lot of color. The cyanide finished guns that came post war are often in great shape:

This photo doesn't actually do justice to how rich the colors are on this example. Late 1940s vintage R10 20 gauge.

I wouldn't want to see cyanide case colors on a big three English gun. But, I wouldn't want to see St. Ledger colors on a post war Darne, either.

Some guns look perfect with cyanide. Some, don't.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Surely this site's readers have read anxieties about Parker Repro colors rubbing off prematurely, No?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or actually flaking off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.