May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (smlekid, Borderbill, PALUNC, Chantry), 533 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello, and thanks for any help with this Charles Daly. I picked up this double at pawn shop for $125.00, after I asked for some that needed some repairs. I am just getting into the doubles and purchasing some to attempt to fix up, etc. This one has peeked my interest. Is it a 10 or 12, is it a basket case? The barrel lenght is about 30". Stamp on the barrels appear to be a "KS." One of the thumb tabs is busted on the left side hammer. Once again, thanks for helping the noob. Great wealth of info here.

Last edited by sjcope84; 12/24/16 05:04 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome sjcope84 to the site
What a fine gun to restore to use
Thanks for sharing

There's a crown above the pistols, it was made before 1890(about).

Others, much more astute that I, will be along shortly smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/24/16 02:57 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike. I am just getting started in collecting the doubles. Any thoughts on the cost to restore one? I am working on some cheaper doubles, a Stevens and an Iver Johnson, but don't want to even attempt it on this one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice old shotgun.
Cost to restore will depend on how far you want to go. Are you talking refinishing the wood and recutting the checkering, refinishing the damascus barrels and redoing the coloring of all metal parts. Plus, are the barrels on face and tight. The cost can add up very quickly, especially if mechanical issues pop up, but it would be a very nice gun when finished. First though, what shape are the bores in? I would determine that before I got too involved.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 12/24/16 04:05 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Guns. Does sound like it could add up quick, and would it be worth it, or just enjoy it the way it is? The bores are not clean, and can definitely see some pitting in both bores. Looking at options, as never messed with a damascus barrel. I've done cold blueing before, but don't think that would be an option. How about finding a replacement hammer for the left side, or will it have to be handmade?

Last edited by sjcope84; 12/24/16 04:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, you've outdone yourself on this one. This was not an inexpensive gun, Daly's, went for good money when new, around $200 at the time. I'm not sure if this was one of those, but it's a quality gun. Since it's not marked HAL for Heinrich Lindner, it's hard to tell exactly who made it. Daly was shopping Europe for a maker for his guns, the early ones were parts kits bought in England and assembled in Suhl. Again, I'm not sure if yours is one of those, but it may be. I have two, both earlier than yours, who probably were. Both are 10ga. Who assembled the guns in Suhl is also uncertain, it may have been Sauer, or they may have been trotted around Suhl to different craftsmen for finishing, by Heinrich, or possibly his father Georg. Much more is known about the later HAL guns. All this in no way detracts from your gun, it's just that not a lot of specific info is available. There's a more extensive thread on this topic, but I haven't been able to find it yet. The barrels on your gun appear to be Damascus, look to be 2-iron, common for guns those days. In order for it to be shot safely, the gun needs to be in good mechanical shape, not loose/off face, and have adequate barrel wall thickness. Low pressure loads suitable for Damascus barrels should be used. I'm sure others will jump in and elaborate on the things I've posted.

Nice gun.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 12/24/16 05:20 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Awesome information Ken. Thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

The worth it part depends on your reasons for having it restored. If your intent is to make money, or even see your money back, then to me the answer is no. But if, like me, you want the gun restored because you want to bring a quality gun back to life and enjoy it, without regard to what you might get for it down the line, then I say yes. You can't buy them on every street corner.
But, first thing to do is to get the barrels evaluated by someone with experience. That consists of bore and barrel wall thickness measurements, cracks, dents, loose ribs and an approximation of how bad/deep the pitting is. If you don't have a set of barrels then you are off to a bad start as far as spending money on a restoration. Although you can get tubes.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.