March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'U' with a Crown, 1891 - 1939 represents Untersuchung equals view. Definitive proof and definitive proof on guns in final state together with crowned B (8). Was replaced 1912 by no 17 for Nitro proof, but was still valid until 1939 as final black powder proof.

The 'W' 1891-1945, proof on choked barrel

The 'S' 1891-1945 Proof of smoothbore barrels

Best I can do Mike, beautiful Linder!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great gun, great story, great dogs, great guy! Mike? Diane and Flash say "hey"....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your new shotgun is beautiful Mike. The engraving is fantastic. And I understand that fiddleback grain is not nearly so common in English walnut as it is in black walnut, so that was a nice bonus. I think I'd consider replacing the brass grip cap with one made of horn as the original was. I have one Syracuse Lefever that has the fairly rare horn grip cap on a semi-pistol grip stock, and it is a nice touch.

The pic of Buddy is priceless. Somehow, he just had to know he wasn't going to get to go bird hunting because of his knee.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if there was a variation in the grip cap. What are the initials forward on the underside of the left tube? This example will be about the midpoint of production of the 2nd series. The platform w/ belts & braces, tube steel, wood, adornment by Fritz Heimbeck, etc., all being unmatched & unparalled... There may have been 2 generations of Fritz Heimbeck's tap, tap, tap adornment. Do note that on the underside of the left tube it appears that Excelsior was stamped in reverse prior to being applied proper.
Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mike, the stock measurements on mine are LOP 14 1/4", DAC 1 3/8" and DAH 2 1/4".

Overall weight is 7 pounds 8 ounces, 30" barrels are 3 pounds, 10 oz. Chambers are 2 5/8"

CJO is convinced the gun is entirely original.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a beauty!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is fine "English" double made in one of the German states. It's nice to see someone using fine sample of John Mann's favorite brand. If I recall correctly he owned rights to the Lindner name. I remember those "crossed swords" posts very well. It seems like yesterday, but in reality it was several years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a fine looking gun, Mike. Knockout engraving. I think I'd leave the brass finial exactly how you found it, put the gun back on face, fix or disable the ejectors, after the the left ejector is repaired (disabled ejectors won't break, and the next guy can put the springs back in them, if he likes) and call it the best gun for hunting that you own.
I couldn't own more than one dog, especially a dog with similar bloodlines to the one I own. She is a force to be reckoned with, on a daily basis. Looking at that pillow makes me wonder if buddy and my Setter, Louise, had a common ancester with a similar attitude?

"But, there were BIRDS on the other side of that sewage lagoon!!!!"

Thanks for the pictures. Merry Christmas.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
Great gun, great story, great dogs, great guy! Mike? Diane and Flash say "hey"....

+1 Beautiful double, dogs, pictures of Linder and story too. Must be a banner quail year down in Texas. Thanks for posting.

NB

Robert Ruark: Use Enough Gun
Sidelock
Sidelock

Going thru the graffiti forward on the tubes, I can't determine the tubeset number not the tubeset knitter initials but the tubes were brought to a state of completion by master Witten tube steel mechanic Werner Gottgetreu and below that is Lindner's quality control mark of HAL over crossed sidearms, which was engaged after the new proof rules. A guess was that it was completed circa 1905:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=446068&page=1

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.