April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Lloyd3, Chad Linder, Marks_21, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 224 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,017
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Refer to The relevant section defining an antique firearm from the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(16), as posted by bladeswitcher, not the National Firearms Act Section which apparently uses a different definition for different purposes.

Last edited by vangulil; 12/20/16 09:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the way I have always understood it also, ANY gun made prior to 1899 is an Antique.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

OP was about our American connotation of the terms Antique and Vintage in the collecting area. We've gotten off into legal stuff instead...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
OP was about our American connotation of the terms Antique and Vintage in the collecting area. We've gotten off into legal stuff instead...Geo

Well, "antique" has a legal definition. "Vintage" does not. It's whatever anybody thinks it is. For a young guy just discovering double shotguns, a Spanish gun made in the 1970s might seem vintage. That guy's grandfather would think that was a new gun.

FWIW, World War II seems like a reasonable cut-off for vintage vs. modern . . . but that's just me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago, my local FFL and I made a call to the BATF Field Office for clarification on Antique status. We were told exactly what Tom Martin, 2piper, vangulil, and bladeswitcher said... if the gun was made prior to 1899, it is an Antique, period, and not considered a firearm for purposes of FFL Transfer. We were told that it is actually wrong to even enter such Antiques in the FFL's Bound Ledger Book since that is intended for modern firearms only.

The gun in question at the time was a Antique 12 gauge double that I bought on Gunbroker, and the seller insisted that it had to be transferred through an FFL even though it was easily proven to be pre-1899. And we all know that 12 gauge ammo is readily available. The seller still insisted on sending it to an FFL, so my FFL guy took delivery of the shotgun and simply handed it to me when it arrived at his shop when he saw that it was Antique. Actually, the Antique status for BATF purposes applies only to when the action or receiver was built. If it can be proven that the action was built prior to 1899, and the gun was not assembled and sold until years later, after 1899, it is still an Antique gun.

It's a little confusing. But what really confuses me is why Franc Otte types with a British accent when he lives in the U.S., but guys like Damascus or gunman who actually live in Great Britain do not. Blimey! I guess it's meant to impress us Yankee blokes on this side of the pond, eh wot? Weird.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have generally adhered to the "antique" designation as detailed above without problems.

However: Perhaps one of you would care to elaborate on 26 U.S.C. § 5845(G)?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking for your personal definitions of Vintage as far as guns go.I think the Vintage thing should slide up as the years go by..in 2086 ( pick your number), guns made today would be vintage,as I see it.
I wish the Antique rule slid up with the years.
Thanks for your replies
cheers
Franc
Hope you all get an old long box under the tree

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello Keith, I'm not quite sure what you mean by me typing in English accent.It sure isn't to impress anyone, I can tell you that much..I looked at my three posts & found a couple of Cheers, which I say all the time,a couple of Ye's, which I picked up when living in Ireland, a Bloke or two,another common word I can't seem to let go of...."Hello Lads" is to me,a very friendly way of adressing a bunch of mates....If it seems wierd to you so be it
Sorry if it offends you..but I was born n raised in England, some things stay with you when you move
Merry Christmas mate
cheers
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 12/20/16 12:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No problem Franc. You are perfectly understood. If some of us hill folk started typing the way we often speak it might be all but unintelligible! Happy Christmas to you and yours!

Sidelock
Sidelock

bladeswitcher:
"Please note that the ammunition stuff only applies to paragraph B, which addresses REPLICAS. So, a gun manufactured after 1898 could be considered an antique if it is a replica of something made prior to 1898 so long as it uses obsolete ammo. None of that changes the fact that paragraph A states that ANY firearm made prior to 1899 is an antique. The modern ammo language of paragraph B does not apply to paragraph A."

Thanks for the clarification.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.