April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (obsessed-with-doubles, Lloyd3, ClapperZapper, SKB, Drew Hause, 1 invisible), 531 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,097
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

I shot a 28" 16 ga AyA53 - SLE, side clips, hidden 3rd fastener - for about 5 years and wish I hadn't sold it. A very sweet, nicely balanced and handsome shotgun. On the other hand, the 3rd fastener broke on a pheasant hunt during the first year I had it, and I couldn't open the gun. Jack Rowe repaired it and I got the gun back pretty quickly, but I still remember walking a weedy ditch back to the car with no way to reload and having my springer flush two nice cock birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L Kenney
I shot a 28" 16 ga AyA53 - SLE, side clips, hidden 3rd fastener - for about 5 years and wish I hadn't sold it. A very sweet, nicely balanced and handsome shotgun. On the other hand, the 3rd fastener broke on a pheasant hunt during the first year I had it, and I couldn't open the gun. Jack Rowe repaired it and I got the gun back pretty quickly, but I still remember walking a weedy ditch back to the car with no way to reload and having my springer flush two nice cock birds.

I'm a sucker for a nice 16 gauge, and wouldn't say 'no' to an AyA 53 in 16 gauge for the right price. I lucked into two Ugartechea 16 gauge guns this year, a model 116 and a model 75.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a Model 53 12ga. The barrels did not shoot to the same POI. I got rid of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 16 ga AYA Model 53 SLE with 28" barrels made in 1996 which I bought used 10 years later. At 6'8" and dimensions that fit me perfectly, it has become my regular wild bird gun. Ruffs, Bobs and Roosters: change the Brileys and the shells and away we go. It will be the last gun I sell.

I believe the 53 and 56 preceded the development of the 1 and 2s as their game and target guns respectively. Both have all the features Kenney mentioned plus gold washed locks, articulated front triggers and disc set strikers. With the advent of the Model 2, they remain a custom only gun. Mine has a Holland style self opener. They are more stout than the 2s but not as heavy as the target 56.

If you can find a nice one that fits you there is no better value in a modern SxS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PS. Far too many of the 53s were ordered with AYA's ugly selective single trigger and often also a beaver tail forend. If you can find a double trigger, case colored with a splinter, you have found the best value in a Spanish gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had a Model 53E in 20 gauge for the past 15 years or so, a wonderful gun, very well made, with gorgeous wood, and, yes, the SST was ugly, but it never missed a beat. I just recently sold it simply because I have other guns that fit me better, so a very good friend of mine who is shorter and much stockier built than I am now enjoys it. If it had fit me just a bit better, I would still be shooting it. GREAT gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 53E in 12 gauge, ordered it directly from Spain in the mid 70s. Gun still looks new, may have shot 10 boxes through it 28" barrels, semi beaver tail, mod and full chocked. killed a few turkeys, a couple a pheasant, and a few doves.
Dr. P. Hit it on the head,
The 53 is one of AYA,s early catalog gun, a semi copy of a Purdy system. You can't go wrong!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mea culpa! I had sinus surgery last Monday to repair a mashed nose from 40-years ago. Percocet works just a bit too-well it would seem.

Wrong gun.... but I still maintain the rest of my assertions: AyAs are a lot of gun for the money, and for the moment, they are still very affordable.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the comments. It appears that I was misguided at the outset and that a model 56 is more of what I was/am looking for. So I'll be off to that quest.

thanks again

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

the Mod 53 is heavier than their standard, say #1 or #2 and is usually equipped with a third fastener and side clips. Also the rib is likely to be engraved or cross hatched rather than game rib, but it could be ordered the other way also. Very stout guns but not as heavy as the 56. I shot 1 for clays for a few years and had no issues.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.