April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (mel5141, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 1,031 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cowboy action shooting. I shot a different hammer shotgun in every match in 2016. This one happen to be my W Richards side lever 12. The loads are black powder substitute BlackMZ loaded in brass hulls. You can see me fumble for the top snap when it's on the side.

Other shotguns include Baker Syracuse 10 gauge, L C Smith 10 Gauge, NID Ithaca 12, Colt 1878 12, Hopkins and Allen 12, Stevens 235 16 gauge, Remington 1889 in 12 and 10 gauge.

We're planning a new years match and I plan to shoot a Colt 1878 10 gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt grouse and woodcock behind an English setter with mine. I have one hammerless gun, a Grulla, that's not been fired in 7 or 8 years.

16 ga. Belgium "guild" gun.

Another 16 ga. Belgium built gun.

A 16 ga Husqvarna Model 51.

bls Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Really enjoy seeing the hammer guns, I would really enjoy one myself but hunting with a flushing dog (ESS) I barely have time to hit what flushes!

Any tips from you guys hunting with flushers and hammer guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Typically I dispatch most game w/ a hammergun and when I'm not toting such I find myself trying to cock the hammers on any other non-exposed hammer scattergun. Tips would be to just use one more to become accustom & then to always breach it prior to taking the hammers out of battery.

J. Novotny 12 bore, my go to field scattergun.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bls
Really enjoy seeing the hammer guns, I would really enjoy one myself but hunting with a flushing dog (ESS) I barely have time to hit what flushes!

Carry it with the hammers cocked, but the action open. just make sure your finger is not inside the triggerguard until you mount the gun.

Last edited by Ken61; 12/17/16 09:38 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bls

My dog is a flusher. Doesn't seem to matter much to me which gun I use, so far as speed goes. When the dog is acting a bit birdy, I may move my thumb up over the hammers, but otherwise, I just cock the hammers as the gun comes up, just like one would slide off a tang safety on a hammerless double.

this one never flushed though. I confess, I shot him on the ground. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice bird, what variety & what bore on the brass?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did use it a lot for driven game and pigeon shooting though over the last ten years killing started to be not what I wanted to do like a number of my shooting friends, some how this way of thinking does seem come with age. So I use it as often as I can though now only for clay shooting with felt wad 1oz loads.

Damascus barrelled bar in wood thumb leaver opener Purdey built in 1869.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
[quote=bls]

Carry it with the hammers cocked, but the action open. just make sure your finger is not inside the triggerguard until you mount the gun.

I am sure that works well in open country- but you'll never get through one of my northeast woodcock covers that way. The gun in the right hand as the left fights off briers on your way to the dog.

IMHO- rebounding hammers are as safe (if not more so) than the trigger blocking safety on most double guns. Cock the hammers on the rise for upland birds- I am lucky my thumb will fit across both hammers of my 12's - but the motion of cocking while raising a gun is learned quickly

the 10's are waterfowl guns and it takes a little practice to cock left then right in a smooth hurry - practice is what clays are for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Nice bird, what variety & what bore on the brass?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Not sure which bird you are referring to, but if the turkey, it's an eastern (Iowa). 10b

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.