May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, ithaca1, Karl Graebner), 346 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,725
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thick as "flys"-- maybe "flies"? I am a pass shooter for barn pigeons- no doves though in MI-the PETA azzholers shot down our chances for a legal dove season- I like 30" and 32" tight chokes in my side-by-side 12 gauges for "airborne shit-birds"- like T. N. Buckingham said so well in his story "The Dove"-- and I quote: "You've had about all the thrills possible when you blot out an almost overhead fifty-yard dove-- and see your bird, well patterned, crumple"-- A bit of Nash espousing the Limey driven bird mantra of "Bum, Belly, Beak, Bang"-- works for me!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the the triggers can be switched. Knew a south paw who claimed that he did it regularly. They may be that way because they were switched, intentionally or otherwise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first Lefever, a 12ga G Grade had been modified by reversing the triggers as well as bending the buttstock to a left hand cast. SKB (Steve Bertram) corrected the problem. No longer the "leftie lefever"!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Something like this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602235657

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603458578

I've seen some great deal on these German guns. Its painfully obvious to even the most casual double gun enthusiast that these people do not know what they are selling.

burch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You guys have me reconsidering it all now. I didn't know you could switch the triggers. My LC shoots good and I do like it. I was thinking it was built that way. I could switch the triggers and have the head glassbeded. The only other issue is the screw that mates the two locks together. The threads in the side plate have been stripped so the screw won't tighten up. ( previous owner ). I shoot it anyhow. I load a 1oz. @ 7000 psi. so I don't beat up guns. I shoot the same load outta my Frenchie. What would the cost be to fix my LC.

God bless the fine men and women in the U.S. military
Sidelock
Sidelock

Give me your e-mail nd I'll get with you. Assuming you have an R framed gun (one machine screw at the rear of the lockplates, the left barrel counter-bored so the head sits flush, I will send you one w/o boogered threads, all I ask is two things: (1) You keep that fine Smith and send it to my pal Buck Hamlin in MO-I'll give you his address and phone number, as Buck does NOT travel on this Al Gore invented internet highway- and (2) you reimburse me just the shipping cost to get you this essential part- Two caveats here- as you may be new to L.C. Smiths-(1) do not fire your gun with that stripped machine screw in place, the locks and plates must be locked into exact position to function and re-cock properly- and also, in case you are not aware, do not remove the forearm and barrels on your gun from the receiver unless the hammers are cocked back. As Smiths didn't have cocking indicators like some LeFevers and first series Ithaca NID's== just remove the forearm and see if the cocking cranks that extend from the front of the receiver "nose" wiggle- if they do, the hammers are cocked--RWTF--e-mail me directly at dsmorin@hotmail.com--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
burch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Email on the way

God bless the fine men and women in the U.S. military
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
A lot of the really good gunsmiths won't even touch American double guns anymore.

That should tell you something.

Best,
Ted

I'd like to know exactly who those good gunsmiths are that won't touch American guns .............. so we won't be wasting each other's time. Names?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/06/16 10:45 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

+ 1 for what Stan said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am reasonably happy with my current crop of doubles and haven't owned an American "classic" double for some time now. I did, however, hunt some pheasants the other day with an older friend and his classic American 16 and...... I must admit, I could be tempted again. The gun was a Damascus E-grade Lefever with seemingly D-grade engraving. The weight, balance, fit & finish, checkering and wood on this gun was and is spectacular. It has been dated by Buck Hamlin to be a post-Syracuse gun that was likely assembled by the folks at Ithaca out of Syracuse-sourced parts, but it is nothing like any Ithaca Lefever I've ever seen.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/06/16 11:29 PM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.