April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mills, FallCreekFan, Ted Schefelbein, Joe Wood, 2 invisible), 411 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#463643 11/27/16 12:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Weatherby Athena came in my shop for refinishing,What in Gods name do them guys in Japan use on those stocks, Yet alone trying to remove it <I tried Aircraft paint remover, along with lots of other stippers,epoxy stippers that is , I have I the shop, and none of it evens softens the finish to scrape it ,I have found nothing short of sand blasting email me m jlyons1@comcast.net

Lyons Gunsmithing
Sidelock
Sidelock

Likely careful sanding will be the only way.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel sure that your stock finish is very likely to be an industrial form of Melamine twin pack. I have found if normal strippers won't work I resorted to an industrial Vandal Paint stripper. Though over here it can be difficult to purchase because of its toxicity, things may be different on your side of the water when you come to purchasing industrial products.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can remove it with a heat gun, just be very careful not to scorch the wood.
If you set it to low temp you can get it to soften up and then carefully scrape it off....do it in sections and take your time, finish sand after.

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sheephunter,

sent you an email with something that might work....

WBLDon

WBLDon #464009 11/30/16 03:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don ,I ordered stipper from rockland,although I removed the raise cheekpiece and did a little experiment,I put Jasco epoxy remover on the piece ,wrapped it in waxedpaper with the wax side toward the wood several wrap so the air don't dry out stipper,seal ends, place it in freezer for couple hrs,after removing the piece ,the finish scraped off easily with a small piece of auto windshield glass,for the complete stock I will try rockland first

Lyons Gunsmithing
Sidelock
Sidelock

I generally just scrape the entire stock down to remove the old finish. A straight blade knife, extremely sharp will shave off any finish in nice clean curls right down to the wood,,or into it if you want too.
Handled right you can do the curves, even the tight ones w/o any damage to the wood. Direction means little, you can sweep accross the wide areas in different directions as is confortable. Back up the blade with your thumb(s) for extra control in both blade depth of cut and making any vibration disappear.

Plus it's a fast process and leaves the wood surface smooth and ready for minimal sanding needed to continue
No mess either.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bought a smal detail sander,with triangle pads ,works great around grip caps and checkering,start with 100 grit ,finish with 320

Lyons Gunsmithing

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.