April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Replacement, Ian Forrester, DaveB, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
kirkp #467546 01/02/17 08:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I re-stocked a Baker 16 I first fit the blank to the action and then inlet the side locks. I found I was able to leave a good bit more wood in between the two side locks than what the factory milling job had done. Once done perhaps you could re-enforce the wood with an epoxy coating?

Sam Welch
kirkp #467547 01/02/17 08:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would this be one of those places where the new stock head would be well served by a judicious application of thin cyanoacrylate, soaked into the end grain, for strength? I've never done this, but have read of it on here.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
kirkp #467577 01/02/17 12:39 PM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hank, thanks for your insight. Is the stock building info in The Classic English Double Barrel more extensive than what's in Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzle-Loading Shotgun?

Sam, did a search for any posts on your Baker project but didn't come up with anything. Have any photos you can share?

Stan, you are probably right. I've used this in other woodworking projects and it definitely makes a difference. Maybe if I can leave additional wood and use super glue and/or Acra Glass I can make it more structurally sound.

Kirk

kirkp #467581 01/02/17 01:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The CA glue will work quite well to strengthen and harden all the inside area of the stock. I know one custom maker who uses thin CA on the inside and outside of all his stocks. I use it myself some and was going to add that to the above post but here tis.

Kirk, I went back and looked at my early posts and these photos are already available on a thread titled Batavia leader. The whole thread is of interest.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...8247#Post318247

Last edited by SamW; 01/02/17 01:54 PM.

Sam Welch
kirkp #467598 01/02/17 02:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for digging that up Sam, I remember thinking very nice job.

For practice, I think 2by pine could be frustrating to try to get crisp cuts. Maybe, a piece of poplar would be inexpensive and work just a little more like walnut. If the concern is the head of the stock, then the practice piece does not need to be full sized and include the butt.

Depending on how the metal fits, it could go quicker to inlet and glue in a little filler wood that's missing. Maybe let the metal back down, and refine it with some gel epoxy as needed, and get to a guide pattern to visualize if that's the hope.

I don't think you need to be overly worried about thickening the new wood beyond reasonable. I think some of these guns were fed loads that they never were really intended to fire.

Maybe, along with books, you can check youtube. Look up how folks are approaching lever action or single shot rifle butt stocks, and adjust here and there for your application. If the project stalls out, you could still have a shop semi inlet by duplicating off your pattern. The time commitment could never be justified in money, so a little money layout might allow someone to spend some time elsewhere on the project.

I think you may have a unique little gun. Thanks for the updates.

craigd #467660 01/02/17 11:01 PM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd

For practice, I think 2by pine could be frustrating to try to get crisp cuts. Maybe, a piece of poplar would be inexpensive and work just a little more like walnut. If the concern is the head of the stock, then the practice piece does not need to be full sized and include the butt.

Depending on how the metal fits, it could go quicker to inlet and glue in a little filler wood that's missing. Maybe let the metal back down, and refine it with some gel epoxy as needed, and get to a guide pattern to visualize if that's the hope.

I don't think you need to be overly worried about thickening the new wood beyond reasonable. I think some of these guns were fed loads that they never were really intended to fire.

Maybe, along with books, you can check youtube. Look up how folks are approaching lever action or single shot rifle butt stocks, and adjust here and there for your application. If the project stalls out, you could still have a shop semi inlet by duplicating off your pattern. The time commitment could never be justified in money, so a little money layout might allow someone to spend some time elsewhere on the project.

I think you may have a unique little gun. Thanks for the updates.

Craigd, I was thinking the same thing about pine, especially after looking for anything that might have a reasonable grain. Ain't happening. I realized that I have a piece of tupelo gum that typically is light, fine grained and carves well. This particular piece is anything but light and is very dense/hard. Think I might look into using this. I also like the suggestion about filling in areas of lost wood to get a better idea of overall shape. The wood fit the receiver very well considering the shape of the stock. I also totally agree about the hot loads. I shudder to think about what I shot in my grandfathers 1917 Parker in my younger day.

Sam, thanks for the link! I take a detailed look at the link and get back to you with the questions I know I will have.

Kirk

kirkp #467674 01/03/17 12:39 AM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sam, the Batavia post was interesting. I'm going to have to look at some of the old posts by Rocdoc. Sounds like he may have some experience.

As for your work, it looks very nice. Good job and my only complaint is that there aren't more pictures!!! I can't believe you don't have a ton? If you don't want to through the hassle to post them you can email them to me. smile

Kirk

kirkp #467680 01/03/17 05:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: kirkp
Hank, thanks for your insight. Is the stock building info in The Classic English Double Barrel more extensive than what's in Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzle-Loading Shotgun?

You're welcome and yes, it is.

Hank

Yes, I did write a book. It's called "The Classic English Double Barrel"
kirkp #467963 01/05/17 03:17 PM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This evening I am going to cut out my practice stock. Wondering how proud the wood from the receiver? I was thinking 1/8" and would appreciate your input. Surely don't want it too much, just that much more to remove.
Kirk

kirkp #468005 01/06/17 01:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

3/16" to 1/4" will provide plenty "wiggle room" and just enough in case there's an "uh oh" in the lurch. Since it is a practice piece, if things don't turn out so good at least you'll know what not to do on the next one. A project such as this is so much fun and can be quite educational. I have a feeling you'll do just fine with it.

Hank

Yes, I did write a book. It's called "The Classic English Double Barrel"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.