March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#463841 11/28/16 10:01 PM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know this may be a fools errand but what the heck. Hopefully I can get enough direction from the fine folk here that I can increase my chances of success (sounds better than lessen my chances of failure).

So, here's the story. I have a early 1900s Meriden Firearms 20ga double. It is in sad shape but MAY be able to get back to firing condition which intrigues me. Although this gun may be rare since it's a 20ga it doesn't warrant sinking a ton of money in it. The stock is shot and missing parts so for the fun of it I thought I would try and carve my own replacement. I like wood carving, have a lot of tools and what will I be out except for my time. Note that this would be done on a lower priority.

From what I've read carving a stock for a sidelock shotgun is something that should only be tried after experience. This isn't likely to happen.

So, with this all being said, anyone have any words of advice and wisdom they would like to share with me? Also, any recommended books to read?

Thanks
Kirk

kirkp #463850 11/28/16 11:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take your time, cut a little and measure often.

kirkp #463857 11/29/16 12:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe, that stock is good enough to patch and fill to make it into a pattern for a shop with a duplicator. I think you'll still have plenty wood working to do, but a good head start would probably come in handy. Best of luck with the project.

kirkp #463861 11/29/16 07:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It will only be difficult if you let your imagination tell you that. Shaping wood is not "Rocket Science" measure twice cut once! As you have not given a picture of the whole stock may be you could do a head transplant with the joint hidden in the chequering, that will cut down many problems and of course the work. Doing it that way if things do not go to plan the firewood is minimal and so is the cost.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
kirkp #463880 11/29/16 10:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would make every possible attempt to join all the broken pieces into one " chunk". That should be sufficient to see what is missing and what needs to be done. And you would have something to use as a reference as Mr. craigd has suggested. Good wood glue and epoxy are your friends to get started here.

Since you have carving experience it should be clear sailing from that point on. Just take your time and set it aside any time you get a bit frustrated.

damascus #463884 11/29/16 11:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
may be you could do a head transplant with the joint hidden in the chequering, that will cut down many problems and of course the work.

Personal thoughts on a head transplant - Don't do it.

With a butt transplant you can attach a large block securely before cutting it down less room for error.

With a head transplant, a slightly different angle to original at the head can really throw out the measurements at the but end in relation to the barrel. Personally i have done it once, while the results are satisfactory and usable it did result in having to mess around with the other end of the stock to make it all as was. I came to the conclusion that this procedure is better left to others, by the time you have painstakingly inlet the head of the stock i wished i had just started with a blank canvas. - Just my experience. If i was to do it again, i would inlet the new head piece, and then alter the angle where it joins the but until the measurements were OK.

As damascus says though a small piece of wood for doing a head transplant will cost much less than messing up on a nice blank..

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 11/29/16 11:21 AM.
kirkp #463900 11/29/16 12:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be a fun project...especially when not pressed for time. Cannot remember where I read the info but carving from a blank is satisfying but you need to know how to lay out the various parameters for proper fit such as LOP, drop at comb and heel, cast and pitch. May as well make it fit you! I'm far from an expert but I have been successful not only making a Baker stock from a blank but I cut the blank from a walnut stump and had it drying in my shop for over 20 years. Much fun in the long run.

Just do some research and take your time.

And yes, I did have the old beat up and glued back together stock as a guide which helped a lot!

Last edited by SamW; 11/29/16 12:53 PM.

Sam Welch
kirkp #463976 11/30/16 10:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, that butt has seen better days. You may find Mike Yardley's book Gunfitting helpful. There is a pictorial featured here that's interesting. Sadly most of the best stock making books are no longer in print and extremely hard to find.

Your method may differ but I would begin by piecing everything back together then tracing the outline of the butt on a knot free pine board. A chunk of 2x10 or 2x12 will be plenty wide enough to make a practice piece. One board may not be thick enough but two glued together will be. To judge the letting for the receiver and locks try lining the original with clear plastic wrap then use modeling clay to make a mock up of the original. Simply pack the clay in and around the letting. Be sure to have enough plastic wrap sticking out around the edges to pull the mock up out. The mock up will provide solid reference for the receiver end letting.

Stock making, obviously, is both a skill and an art form. It takes practice and patience to learn the skill and develop the art. Practicing on a pine board is the best way I have found to do this.

Keep us posted on your progress?

Hank

Yes, I did write a book. It's called "The Classic English Double Barrel"
kirkp #467541 01/02/17 02:32 AM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all, hope everyone had a great holiday season! I appreciate your replies and hope you don't think I blew you all off.

I took some additional photos of the stock after gluing the parts together. It is relatively complete and I'm sure that with some fill here and there it be duplicated however I don't think this gun warrants the outlay of this much money.

Hank, I like your suggestion to mock it up with a 2x and considering that the stock is only 1 3/8" wide I can get it out of one piece of wood. In looking at the pictures, this narrowness is probably part of the problem. It looks so frail compared to a 12ga stock that actually has some wood left between the sideplates. When I get into it I'll try to leave as much wood as I can but my guess is that if it was possible they would have done it when they built it.

I've found what I think might be some books to purchase:
Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzle-Loading Shotgun
Clyde Baker's Modern Gunsmithing : A Revision of the Classic
Professional Stockmaking: Through the Eyes of a StockmakerProfessional Stockmaking: Through the Eyes of a Stockmaker
Modern Gunsmith: 2 Volumes In 1

Of the 4, I think the first might be the most helpful but I'd like everyones thoughts on this. As I side note I just saw that Hank has finished his book so there's another aspect to consider.

Anyway, going to Menards tomorrow to buy some wood and we'll see where it goes from there. I'll try and make sure to keep updates coming

Kirk

kirkp #467543 01/02/17 06:44 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You did an excellent repair job Kirk. I agree, it does look frail. Judging from the pics it appears very dry and brittle but at least you have the original as reference to make a new one. Recreating the Double Barrel Muzzle-Loading Shotgun devotes a short chapter on stock shaping which may be helpful. The Classic English Double Barrel contains considerable information about how to carve a gun stock to fit the shooter. You may find it helpful too. I'm not familiar enough with the other two you mentioned, aside from knowing the book Professional Stockmaking: Through the Eyes of a Stockmaker is devoted to rifle stocking, to offer any input.

You have a fun project going. Just think, when it's all done you can step back, take a good look at it and say "Yes! I made this."

Hank

Yes, I did write a book. It's called "The Classic English Double Barrel"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.