May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (j7l2, SKB, Lloyd3, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,137
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the Difference in the high and low season for Argentina dove and pigeon hunting? Is one better than the other, or is it just an off time of the year?

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience in Argentina for dove is limited to the "low season" as our party was also shooting duck and perdiz and those species are limited by a regulated hutning season. If I recall correctly, the duck/perdiz season runs June - August or thereabouts.

Even during the "low season" there were more than enough dove (an understatement.) I normally limited my shooting to 500 rounds per morning or afternoon session, or sometimes a little less, but could have shot double that if I desired.

Maybe there are even more dove in the air during the peak months, but it certainly did not feel like things were limited by the "low season".

Unless you are trying for some absurd number on doves (i.e., several thousand in a day), I wouldn't worry about it. I focussed on shooting at an enjoyable pace for a few hours and was not espcially concerned about numbers.

I can't speak to impact of the high and low season on the pigeon numbers in Argentina as my SA pigeon has been limited to Uruguay.

Enjoy yourself.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 06/29/07 03:48 PM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have been going to SA for years, never heard the terminology high and low seasons. Seasons are opposite from this side of the equator. Prefer to go in July because it is miserable here and because it is winter there, so quite nice. Bugs & deciduous foliage are down, winds are up, you are likely to get wet. Mornings are crisp, afternoons can run from delightful to plenty darn cold. Duck and perdiz seasons are open if you are interested in doing that. There is a good fire blazing in the hearth at the estancia on each days return from the field. I find the sport & relaxation better in the winter and usually have the windows open for the cold crisp air at night.

There are adequate quantities of dove most places offering shoots, and that is irrespective of the season. For maximum enjoyment, pace yourself and learn to make the difficult shots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had never heard of the Hi versus Lo season distinction either. Probably cause I've always been there at "lo-season". The reversed seasons make May thru August winter down there, and I guess that must be referred to as the lo season because its not the Argentine's traditional holiday period.

The winter season shooting for doves is mostly grain field oriented. You either shoot the feeding field or along a flight-line between the field and the roost. The great summer breeding roosts are broken up during the harvest into "smaller" feeding roosts. This shooting is more akin to a Southern dove shoot in the USA.

Summer season shooting instead of being feeding field oriented is pass shooting around the huge roosts. You post on a hilltop and blast away and away and away...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just back and we did NOT do the high volume dove shoot. 4 duck hunts, 2 perdiz hunts and 2 dove shoots. Had a good time but on my third trip I did not need Cordorba.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have often heard Argentina outfitters, booking agents and airline travel agents refer to the "high season" and the "low season". This reference is not related to game volume but "high tourist/travel season" or "low tourist/travel season" shortened to high season or low season.

is there any bird hunting in Argentina in february or march?

All the best,
Barry Lee Hands
http://www.barryleehands.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barry,

Dove and pigeon can be shot year round. Perdiz, duck, and geese have defined seasons.

OTWOAD,

I have seen the "low season" term used in regard to the "travel/tourist" periods, but I have also seen the term used on a couple of outfitter sites in regard to the volume of dove available during specific months. I tried to google it and did not find it, but I distincly remember one outfitter's bar graph showing the peak times for dove numbers. Before my first trip, the graph actually gave me pause as I knew we wouldn't be travelling in the "peak volume" months. It seems funny now knowing the number of doves that await, but it did at the time.

Ken

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.