April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Skeeterbd, j7l2, fab500, jake van dyke), 1,084 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The subject of importing older shotgun from foreign sources often comes up here so I thought I'd post this information contained in Instruction Number 10 which came with the renewal form.
I am in the process of renewing my C&R License and here's what the instructions say on this subject:

"If this is a renewal application for a collector of curio and relics license, upon approval, the license will entitle you to acquire firearms classified as curio or relics in interstate or foreign commerce. You may dispose of curios and relics to any person otherwise not prohibited by the Gun Control Act of 1968, residing within your state and to any other Federal firearms licensee in any state---------"

Notice this specifically states that a licensee may acquire eligible items from foreign sources but it is silent on transactions going the other way. However as I read this; anyone with a C&R license should be able to import eligible shotguns unless their own state forbids it. Opinions?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From what I've read the past week you just have to fill out a ATF form 6 and get approval. Then you have to set up a customs broker and fill out another form to present to them when you pick up the gun.

I'm in the process of trying to import a set of O/U barrels as a non-FFL holder and have spent some time reading and talking to the ATF field office.

The ATF people I've talked to have been very helpful.

Last edited by oskar; 11/23/16 12:28 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

James,
You are walking where angels fear to tread.

The biggest problem in my experience is you are counting on many people, here and overseas, to understand the law and their job perfectly. Some people in the ATF and with US Customs fall into that catagory, and some don't. Some will bring their own personal vendettas to the job as well. All of them, to a one, are afraid of making a mistake. I have reported right here about some of the issues I had right here with Port of Minneapolis Customs people, and the areas where Customs law overlaps with BATF.
Let me assure you, it can go flawlessly, but, it by no means is a promise. I have been involved in more than one case of saving an 01 FFL from himself when I was licensed as an 08 importer.
I'd suggest you attempt to enlist a licensed 08 guy for at least the first few times, along with a customs house broker. I eventually got sick of the unprofessional tantrums I had to deal with from the staff of Port of Minneapolis Customs, and just had my broker handle it for me. He was worth every penny, and knew how to handle even big screwups as they happened-you know that a firearm that ends up at the wrong airport, regardless of who screwed up, is seized by US Customs, no ifs, ands or buts, right?
I have never met an 01 FFL that has a clue what to do in a situation like this. Further, the clock is ticking with US Customs for said gun to be destroyed at that point.
Just because you can legally do something doesn't mean anyone you will deal with in several branches of government, is all that interested in it going well for you.

I'm out of it completely, by the way. Put up with it for 15 years, simply too much BS for the rewards, IMHO.

Fair warning.

Best,
Ted

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted:
I've imported a grand total of 2 shotguns over the years and in both cases I used a 01FFL to do it before I had my own 03FFL. I filled out the 06 forms since they guy holding the license didn't want to get involved. The firearms were shipped and before I could get a broker to clear them they showed up at the 01FFLs place of business. In other words; they cleared customs without any involvement of a 3rd party.
Jim

Last edited by James M; 11/23/16 10:42 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It can go that way. I can assure you, there is a good chance the political climate is different from whatever location you pulled that off in, and the one I dealt with. And, things have changed.

Pre 9/11, importing guns was a lot of fun. Since, not so much.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I bought an I. Hollis SLNE damascus gun years ago (pre 9/11) from McDonald's Gunshop in Australia. He said since it was pre-1898 he could mail it straight to me, which he did, broken down and wrapped well but in a plain cardboard box. Maybe it slipped in under the radar, I don't know, but it went effortlessly and nobody on his end or mine, except he and I, ever knew there was a gun in the package.

I assume that was done improperly?

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/24/16 09:06 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have not tried this but I made an inquiry to a large auction house in Germany awhile back regarding shipping pre 1899 firearms and was told they would ship directly to me.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only Customs dust-up in a lot of years of international hunting was at the Minneapolis airport. I'd had a Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence and had just registered my shotgun under their old long gun registration and had the card.

A black Customs agent wearing his hair in dreadlocks must have heard my southern accent and decided to hassle me. He wanted proof I didn't buy the shotgun in Canada. I showed him my P.A.L. and Canadian registration with the Georgia address dated long before the trip. He went ballistic and said he didn't have to recognize any document from a Foreign Country.

I then showed him a copy of my bill of sale from a gun-shop here in town and told him I had a plane to catch...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo,
I'd bet it wasn't you or your accent, or the guy with the dreadlocks. It was the gun, and the attitude of the people who run Port of Minneapolis Customs.

It is a nasty little fifedom.

Stan, I think your deal was proper, but, what is important to a deal like that is the fact that no one challenged the age of the gun, and asked for any proof. You can say the gun is however old you think it is, but, that doesn't mean the guy with the badge is going to believe you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: oskar

I'm in the process of trying to import a set of O/U barrels as a non-FFL holder and have spent some time reading and talking to the ATF field office.

The ATF people I've talked to have been very helpful.

I thought barrels were just a part, not a gun, now you need an FFL to get them?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.