April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (67galaxie, 1 invisible), 943 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked this up yesterday and spent a couple of hours reading about the rifles from his shop, and determining that this one was made there.

Finding an old MP post on another forum led me to the stockmaker information under the buttplate.

Cloudy and snowing, so pictures aren't very good. (It was 73* yesterday.....)

'Paul Jaeger Jenkinstown, PA' is on the barrel, but the pic was of center, so I'll have to get another.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By swapping the screws on the buttplate, I was able to time them correctly.
Tang screws also, with just a bit more torque.
Grip cap screw was a no-go. It is as tight as it will go, and turning it back leaves the cap loose. Will need to put some dental floss under the head of the screw.

Action, stock and barrel are 'numbers matching'.

Jaeger trigger.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's about as nice a rifle as you'll find anywhere. It's just right.

There's one more thing it needs, though. That's to go out this coming Monday into the deer woods and do what it was built to do.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

Here's a Paul Jaeger Mauser a friend has, I imagine from the same time period. Might come up for sale soon, he buys and sells all the time, may have to do it....

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=164420

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful. What Dave in Maine said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I won this on gunbroker awhile ago and just picked it up today from my dealer.

Jaeger 1903

It isn't quite and fancy as the one on this thread, but I like it. Under the butt plate is FRV 48 10.

I've got an old catalog, one passage intrigues me, they wrote

"We specialize in remodeling Springfield, Enfield, Mauser
and Krag Military Rifles into high grade sporters. If the original barrel is to be used, it is carefully headspaced and proof fired.
Any doubtful actions are Rockwell hardness tested. A good number of rifles sold through the D.C.M. are not serviceable."

Is anyone familiar with how they were testing and drawing conclusions?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
They said they checked headspace, it may be some DCM 03s/03A3s closed on a No Go gauge. The No Go gauge is .006" longer than the Go. If a bolt wouldn't close on a "Field", it was considered "safe" by the Government. Since the Field gauge was .010" longer than the Go, some DCM rifles likely closed on the No Go, but not on the Field, so were kept in stock and latter issued through DCM. AS always, I might be wrong.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

That I understand, but I was curious about this statement

"Any doubtful actions are Rockwell hardness tested. A good number of rifles sold through the D.C.M. are not serviceable."

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
I don't know then, unless they were referring to "Low Numbered" rifles, I do know some DCM rifles were Low Numbered.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.