April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nelsons Custom), 362 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
ChiefShotguns:

Thanks for the effort and reference. It's the same as I'd posted above thru a forced translations. I can do the same for the rest if anyone is interested.

I've been on a clamshell kick. Heinrich Barella, Otto Seelig, Otto Bock(Hoflieferante-purveyor to the Royal court/household), Greifelt, Carl Stiegele(Bayer Hofgewehr-fabrfik Munchen? W. Foerster Konigl Hofbuchsenmacher, Oscar Geyger, Erdmann Schmidt & Habermann, Robert Schuler( http://www.montywhitley.com/antique_arms_fine_sporting_guns/double_rifles/1765 ) and I'm sure there are others peddled clamshell actions. One such action had both BeMeSu and Carl Stiegele on the weapon. Some have guessed that Stiegele was BeMeSu and was the source of the calmshells just like Otto Selisch has been credited as being a source. But now it seems all info points to Merkel of Suhl.

This just might be the thread to make the transition to regarding the boys Merkel. The following is some info on Carl Stiegele and I can't remember the source( http://www.stiegele-jagd.de/home/history_e.html ?? - but it doesn't seem to work) but think it to be a translated version:

"The company Stiegele Jagd has been founded in 1837 by Carl Stiegele in Munich. During the 19th century, Stiegele manufactured high-quality hunting weapons for the Bavarian royal house and the higher ranks of the German nobility. In Munich, Stiegele ran a shop in Maximilianstrasse as well as a production of hunting weapons and ammunition. The company became rifle manufacturer for the Bavarian royal court. As noted personalities as Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria and the author Ludwig Thoma counted among it's clients. The company reached worldwide importance far beyond the gates of Munich with it's Feuerstutzenrifles and it's 4mm-Sport-Rifles-Stiegele-Patent.

The production of high-quality hunting weapons in Munich was maintained in third generation until 1927 by Carl Stiegele (Jnr.). His excessive lifestyle lead to the sale of the company in 1927. Stiegele Jagd became the property of RWS. Stiegele had an outstandingly good projectile production and was therefore of very high importance for the ammunition manufacturer RWS. When, after the end of World War II, the production and the sale of weapons were allowed again, Stiegele was taken over by Victor Brandl senior. In the middle of the 60s, Victor Brandl senior became famous far beyond the limits of Munich with the production of an over-and-under double rifle for deer with freefloating barrels. The further development of this rifle is still produced as model K 80 by the company Krieghoff.

The weapon business Stiegele Jagd had finally been taken over at the beginning of the 80s by Victor Brandl (Jnr.). At the end of the 80s, the company moved from Maximilianstrasse to the actual location in Pfarrstrasse 8. In the middle of the 80s already, Victor Brandl (Jnr.) started with auctions of luxury hunting weapons in addition to the sale of weapons. Today - nearly 20 years later - the Munich auctions on hunting weapons became a recognized institution in Europe and the world. Since 2003, Dr. Thomas Aschenbrenner is responsible together with Victor Brandl (Jnr.) for the success of the company. This ensures the future preservation of the good name and the tradition of Stiegele for the coming decades."

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr

If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Weichlot is on the left tube. I'm pretty sure that Merkel coined the term so I wonder if the Merkel boys made the blitz action drilling.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

This Merkel #3921 was recently at auction and I was curious if anyone knows who picked it up. With the low serial number it just might be a BeMeSu(Bernhard Emil Merkel Suhl) example and tilt the scales in the muzzleshell frame filing being in his court. Can't tell for sure, but it does not seem to have a single set trigger.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dropped in Chiefshotguns for a visit & see his holdings. On a 1964 Merkle O/U is the term Silberlot.

Siberlot - from earlier in this thread:

"I have a 1964 made Luxus grade 201EL, a very fine shotgun in every respect. It has the word "silberlot" stamped under the barrels. This word translates to "silver solder." I would, therefore, interpret from my gun and from Jack's post above that the "standard" 200 grade gun employed the "standard" soft solder barrel and rib joining method, whereas the higher grade guns, at least the Luxus grade gun I have, employed the higher grade and stronger silver solder to join the barrels and ribs together. My gun has what is apparently a special to this grade tiny English type scroll all over and a very high grade of marble cake walnut stocks, with drop points on the buttstock. I don't recall another Merkel with drop points. They apparently were either special order or reserved for the higher grades.

At any rate, here is pretty clear evidence of two distinct methods of assembly on standard grade and higher grade guns."

Anyone know how the Silberlot process compares a/ the Weichlot process?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also on the flats of a 1964 Simson side x side are the terms Hart(right) & Chrom(left)?

Did you stamp the HART M-4?

CHROM

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Note the gun with "Weichlot"(softsolder)has tubes soldered into a "hackenstuck", or sleeved. The barrels marked Silberlot (sliver
solder) are made by silver soldering( brazing) a bundle of barrels together with the locking lugs, etc. The main part of the ribs were still soft soldered.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

So Ford would Weichlot be akin to a monobloc? Describe how Walter Grass, etal, under tough conditions use cartridge cases for brazing/solderin.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.