March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neither did many varieties of "Steel" fare so well as either the laminated steel or Whitworth barrels. As I recall though few if any were so bad as to be considered "Dangerous".
The Parker G grade barrel which took on the order of 30K psi to burst was neither Whitworth fluid or Birmingham Laminated.
It was almost of a certainty made of Belgian Damascus.
Assuming the walls did not become too thin with the chamber lengthening, & with that weight of gun it's highly unlikely, I would have absolutely no qualms about shooting that 1 oz load @ 1060 FPS through them.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The fixation here seems to be strictly on the effect of pressure on the barrels.....has anyone thought about what the effect 9k psi has on the action, locking bolt, and joint?

I'm by no means a gunsmith or an engineer, but I would imagine if the barrels are sound (wall thickness, condition, etc) 9k psi isn't going to be a cause for much concern, but I would be concerned for the guns action, locking mechanisms, jointing etc. on a gun that is pushing 100+ years, or in my case a gun pushing 134 years old, I would keep the pressure down to prevent excessive wear the metal on metal joints. 9k seems to be a bit much for my taste, I much prefer to keep pressures in the 5 to 6k range.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first concern is stock wood failure not barrel or joint. I just don't shoot any gun that I consider the barrels to be marginal in anyway. I have too many guns and too few extra fingers. As to pressure, I do try to keep 12 loads down to 6-7,000 psi. 5k loads are great but sometimes they do not do well in cold weather. All loads are as reasonable recoil as possible. By that I mean one ounce at 1100-1150 fps. 1 1/8 or heavier loads are just not needed to me. I have modern guns to handle heavy loads. Recoil cracks stocks not pressure so keep it reasonable. If your stock is loose get it fixed because loose stocks split easier than ones which the wood to metal fit is tight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The fixation here seems to be strictly on the effect of pressure on the barrels.....has anyone thought about what the effect 9k psi has on the action, locking bolt, and joint?

While KY Jon only mentioned the stock the recoil is the main concern as well for the other points mentioned. Pressure is of primary concern only to the barrels & at the point it is being measured.
At 20 inches down the barrel it could care less what the maximum chamber pressure is. Lowering chamber pressure does not in & of itself make it easier on a barrel which has a thin forward section.
Load 1 oz of shot to 1060 fps @ 9K psi & 1Ľ oz to 1300 fps @ 8K psi.
Both can be achieved by careful powder selection. That later load will be harder on the gun everywhere except that one short area in the chamber where the 9K is reached. One simply has to look at the total picture. While "MAX" chamber pressure is important, lowering it is not the "Cure All" for all things related to shooting a shotgun. In fact it is the cure for only a very small portion of them. Overall ballistics are far more important for most.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I thought I would add a bit this evening.

My 20ga damascus Flues gun has a thin spot of .018 @ 16" from the breach in the left barrel. I was really apprehensive about shooting it after this discovery, even with low pressure shells.

So, I figured what the heck, I would blow it up or shoot it. Loaded 4ea. hand loads @ 12,500psi per the IMR manual and did the string/proof/behind the tree test. I measured the barrels at a bunch of points before and after.

All is good.
Carry on. ymmv

Last edited by ithaca1; 09/13/16 07:29 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ouch - I have a 1894 Remington B grade with chain Damascus and a couple of friends have LC's with chain. All are shot all the time with nitro. We're all quite proud of them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul;
My FE Lefever has chain damascus, I don't worry much about it either. It's wood is around 110 years old now, that would be my biggest worry, but it is still sound & has shot a good many rounds.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not saying it is OK, but lets face it, most of our damascus guns have had hundreds if not thousands of rounds of modern off the shelf ammo through them. Plenty of it from Walmart too. they are still here with no holes in them.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would bet that Herter's 1060 fps low recoil shell is not 9000 psi. Probably 7000 or less.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
I would bet that Herter's 1060 fps low recoil shell is not 9000 psi. Probably 7000 or less.
JR

That was my thought John... Sure wish I could verify this.

Adam

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.