May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R Reynolds, FallCreekFan, dogon, 2 invisible), 691 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,145
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I don't see a big problem with it most game you shoot will be rising.

Not true. Doves and ducks are passing or overhead shots.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
It is impossible to tell for sure from the pic, but I don't think that the patterns shown are only 6" high. It appears to me that the entire upper fringe of the patterns may be completely off the paper. There is precious little pattern, besides fringe, below the point of aim. I would not be surprised, seeing more patterns shot on a larger plate or paper, if it were not shooting 80/20 high, at least 70/30.

Regardless, understanding that the shot drop will help things at long range does not help the situation at close range, where most birds are killed. The only way to properly shoot those patterns at close range is to "float" the bird above the bead, in space. From watching shooters try to do that for years, and trying to do it years ago on wild quail, I can tell you it is a recipe for poor shooting, and a lot of wounded birds. Since the vast majority of shots are taken at 30 yards or less, the better course is to have a gun that shoots no more that 60/40 high, or even flat (50/50), at those distances. My guns shoot flat to 60/40 high and I do not concern myself with shot drop on long shots. If I am "playing" with some really long stuff, 70-80 yards, like the #8 bird on a "Make A Break", I may hold over a tad. That is much easier to do than having to consistently float a bird on close shots. Dedicated trap guns and pigeon guns are a whole 'nuther animal, and are set up to shoot purposely high. Neither should influence how a game gun is set up.

Then, there is the shooter error of lifting the head off the stock slightly. This may be the most common shooter error with a shotgun ......that, and shooting behind. No one should set up a shotgun to accommodate errors, but if a gun is shooting as high as this one is, and the head lifts slightly, you've got a big "0" on the scorecard, or a missed bird, because your load will go even higher.

JMO, based on my experiences.

SRH

Could not agree more, Stan. Well stated.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We are told in the original post that the round white dot aiming point is one inch. Knowing that, all you need to do is hit Ctrl + or Ctrl - to scale that dot in the photo to a ruler or piece of graph paper or the like.

Assuming the greatest concentration of shot is the center of the pattern, it is pretty easy to figure that the center of this particular pattern is about 7 inches above the point of aim at 25 yards. It would be a bit less at 40 yards, but still more than I'd like. So now the problem is how best to correct it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey! It does say it's a one inch dot. I totally missed that.

At 40 yards when the pattern has 'Bloomed', the vertical 4" remaining is near insignificant.

A high shooting gun also helps you on an incoming overhead shot.... it builds in lead.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't want "help" on establishing lead. I want to know what I put on it, and want it to look like what it is supposed to be, whatever the presentation.

Decoyed ducks sure ain't rising. (Unless you shoot the first one sitting, then try for a second blush)

Different chokes for different "fokes".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no way I believe that pattern is all on the paper at the top. Lok at the dispersion in the bottom fringe, then look at the upper part of the pattern that is visible on the paper. There is MUCH more density at the top of the paper. My money says there is at least 4" of upper pattern pellets that are above the paper's top edge.

Where would that put the center of the pattern? I'd say more like 9-10" high.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dunno Stan. I'd like to see the 40 yard single shell print.

I don't discount your observations. These discussions are fun.

As far as high elevation shots, even if a gun prints 50/50 that built in lead is still there at high elevation, and on an actual overhead shot, say from 70 degrees to straight up, it's considerable. If the target is incoming, that's not a bad thing at all. Cover, shoot, follow through.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a lot better than a gun that shoots low...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two patterns muddy the picture. What if one barrel is high left and the second high right? When combined you think ok its high. If you want to know where a gun shoots it takes a lot of patterns. One shot does not do it. Five might and ten should. Then you have to be shooting it in a normal way. Shooting off sand bags is not going to tell you much unless you intend to shoot off sand bags all the time. I had a dove gun which shot differently in the field than it did on paper. Almost all my shots in the field were from a sitting position while my patterning was done standing up. Different mounting and different poi. Took my awhile to grasp that one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would rather see individual patterns, too. Even when shooting to check regulation.

SRH

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.