May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, SKB, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 866 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,499
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Among the people I hunt with many topics are discussed and one that has come up often is: when hunting grouse without a dog are the shots further than those off point? I should offer that here in PA, even with good dogs ( German short hairs)grouse don't hold very well. So the opinion is that ruffed grouse are shot at closer to 30 and 40 yards more often than the traditionally mentioned 20 to 25 yards. What are the experiences of the experienced here? Thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are so many differing shots when hunting without a dog, most are pretty tough. But, all I know is you better have either a big honkin 12 gauge or a shotgun that fits like a glove and is easy to carry, or both. One friend took his BSS and I took my Ruger Red Label out and found both way too heavy for this type of work so the next time we both took our 16 gauge Ithaca doubles.

One time I nearly stepped on a pheasant and when it flushed it strangely sounded like I stepped on a hornets nest. I'm frantically looking down and around to see if there were hornets all over the place while the bird flied away. We laughed about that one for awhile.

Its tough going, mostly disappointing but the shots you make, those moments will stay with you forever. smile

DLA Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe hunting pressure is the determining factor for grouse hunting. The more grouse are hunted the further out they flush. A dog that doesn't know the game can make it even worse.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Dennis, a dog that is not a grouse dog your chances will be worse. They have to hunt close and point the instant they get scent.
I went with a work associate years ago, I left my setter home for the first time and just walked with him. His thing was to walk 20-30 yards and stop. I asked him why and he said when you stop the grouse get spooky and many times will flush giving you a shot. Walking without stopping, you could walk right past them. That was his theory and it worked for him. He shot a 12 ga. Model 12 with cut barrels to I believe 25" or 26".

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the UP, many people just "Spot and Stalk" ruffed grouse.
Grouse often just wander off the road into the brush a little ways, allowing for a reasonably expected flush.
They start at first light, slowly driving trails, find some picking gravel, and then attempt to walk up close enough to them for a shot.

It doesn't take much to kill a grouse. So, open chokes and 7.5's are more than adequate.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never shot grouse at 30-40 yards, with or without dog. It's within 15 yards usually.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First thing you learn is to alter your cadence. A few steps, stop, look around, a few more, they think that they are being stalked and get real spooky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep the tips flowing! I'm hunting Pa'tridge in northern NH without a dog in Oct.. Haven't done it in better than 40 years.
I've have had a number of sleepless nights in anticipation. smile

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mostly agree with Dennis, re dogs sometimes making it worse. But sometimes long flushes result in incomers or crossers. Success either way is a matter of shot selection and discipline.

My labs were never "grouse dogs", but they were/are good retrievers. Overall, would see them as +/-, but for the retrieval part. That can be a big piece of the puzzle.

When out alone late Oct through 12/31, constriction, payload, and shot size are good to have, labs or lab-less. Distances somewhat depend on where you're looking and taking shots. Will often see birds flying away through more distant, but decent, windows when I don't have a gun. So when carrying a gun nowadays, am less quick to empty it through poor, if near, windows.

While WC are legal, much prefer having the dogs b/c they will find and flush birds I'd walk past. Longest WC was a 50 yd dropper, witnessed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep covering ground. If you're a grouse hunter you know the tangles to push through and the generally unproductive cover. My only 5 for 5 day came dogless.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.