April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, buckstix), 666 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,259
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all,
I put my FN Browning B25 B2G up for sale on a UK site (Gunstar) and got the following offer (which I declined - certainly no PayPal!)
What do you guys think of this? - In my opinion this must be either a phishing action to get my details, or a way of getting an idiot to somehow claim your PayPal payment back from...?
Or have I got this completely wrong??

Anyway - I declined the offer!

can anyone verify the quoted 'USNR'?

is that in any way near what it should/could be?

Best regards

Gunter

Quote:

To: gmtrans@yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: You have a reply to your question about Fabrique National/Browning B25 B2G Shotgun

Thanks for your mail and am satisfy with the add and the listed price. i am a Navy (USNR -VS-82, NAS Alameda, VS-82.), I'm buying this for my friend as a surprise gift, i'm willing to offer you the amount you required.
Due to the hectic nature of my job, the only mode of payment that best suit this transaction is Paypal therefore i have made arrangement with my pick up agent who is a registered arm dealer to come and pick it up after the payment has been cleared into your account. i want you to get back to me with your paypal email address for me to make payment to you and also send me your pick up address so that i can have my agent to schedule pick up appointment after payment.

Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) Are you the Owner?
2) Pick up Location?
3) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment
4) asking price once again for confirmation?

Thanks and God bless
From
Jordan David

Unquote

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't have touched it. Has scam written all over it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

USNR is an acronym for U.S. Navy Reserve. VS is an anti-submarine aircraft squadron (S-3), and, Alameda is a Naval Air Station. I cannot find a reference to VS-82, anywhere.

Last edited by Roundsworth; 08/22/16 05:59 PM.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

this was my reply to his offer:

sorry, no can do!
will have to be a face to face transaction with cash payment on delivery.
I will not accept PayPal
thanks for your interest
GM

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are wise to decline. Can PayPal be used for firearms in the UK? Definitely not supposed to be used for guns here in the U.S.

The big problem is having a buyer claim the item is 'not as described'. The seller is liable for shipping both ways as well as a full refund on purchase price, and PayPal almost always sides with the buyer. Scammers return junk (literally trash), but they have a tracking number showing a package weighing x pounds was shipped back to the seller.

Do not have anything further to do with this guy.

Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi roundsworth,
thanks for the explanation. - does the combination make any sense?
just trying to find out whether I might have sent a buyer away - although I still think that this was a scam!

best regards
Gunter (Kent, UK)

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only mode is Paypal, not a Money Order or Postal Check....NOT!

This is a scamp. When the contact arrives he will need to borrow money, with the promise he will double your investment.

Something for nothing!. Of course he is honest. His friend trusted him to purchase your gun.

He will disappear with all funds and the gun. Our friend in the Navy will be out to sea. You will have a lot of egg to lick off your face.

This is a variation of the Dead Pigeon con in the midwest.

Pete

Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Steve F
that's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw his message!!
and NO - PayPal will NOT do any payments regarding firearms! (as we all know)
Just wondering how one could stop people like that scamming legit deals on the net?

best regards
Gunter (Kent, UK)

jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a similar experience from Craig's List. We advertised a cook top and received a message indicating that he wanted to buy the cook top for his cabin and his secretary would be sending the funds and someone would pick up the unit. The next message was "my secretary sent $1,775" (or some such number) rather than $75. Please send me a check for $1,700 and my colleague will pick up the cook top this weekend I am on the way to the cabin. This was too obvious. The cook top went to GoodWill. I hope he was not planning on it to cook dinner!

jlb

Gunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

well, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw this message in answer to my ad on a UK gun-site!
Unfortunately I had just - a couple of days before - lost my last dog of 10 1/2 years (an English Springer Spaniel) - so I was not quite compos mentis! but I seem to have been lucid enough to see the scam!
(if anyone would like to see pictures of my old friend 'Charles' - only ask, I will be only too pleased to share a pic or two of my old friend who is no longer here - many a tear has been shed in the last few weeks!)

Best regards
Gunter (Rochester, Kent, UK)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.