April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, CJ Dawe, graybeardtmm3, Bill Graham, Stanton Hillis, susjwp), 431 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, I'm as contrarian as many members here but I can't understand why price is the factor we profess it to be. The average gunner won't give up his sport because of the cost of non-tox any more than gas-price increases will affect his driving habits. We hunt for the experience, for the recreation, the camaraderie, and everyone here gets their birds with five or six shots anyway, eh?

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Lowell, I'm as contrarian as many members here but I can't understand why price is the factor we profess it to be. The average gunner won't give up his sport because of the cost of non-tox any more than gas-price increases will affect his driving habits. We hunt for the experience, for the recreation, the camaraderie, and everyone here gets their birds with five or six shots anyway, eh?

To a certain extent, yes we can absorb the cost. But with Non-Tox prices rapidly inflating, along with fuel, at some point you either reduce the amount of hunting you do or at some point cease hunting those game requiring the more expensive component altogether. My point is that if there is no cost difference between lead and Non-Tox shot, you've eliminated the argument against Non-Tox shot's widespread adoption.

Mike Doerner

Last edited by I. Flues; 06/24/07 10:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You make the point well, Mike. And I forgot to mention the dog---we hunt for the dog. We leave the house for the dog. A day with the dog is immeasurable. Price does not enter into it because it's all there with a clean shot and the dog in his element with a retrieve. One duck, one dog, puts a smile on my face. And no duck is enough when we've done everything right: 'coys, blind, keeping low, warm and dry.

Look fellows, it ain't about what we do now, it's about the new kids that should becoming into this activity. That flat out can't.

Gone are the days when a kid slips out with his dad's old model 12 and a few shells to pop a duck or two. This is where the infection comes from. Not from the once in a lifetime trip with dad or granddad.

What I'm willing to spend has no bearing on this at all, only what the young ones can afford does.

Think about this, at every turn in America to day we see are youth discouraged from hunting and shooting.

Heck yes, we are willing to fight, if we only knew how. The question remains how do you raise up a generation that is willing to fight? The traditions of their fathers is lost to them, why will they care?

I fear, that do to our poor education system, we no longer even know what freedom means.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Al, my kids and their kids are better than the generation of kids I grew up with. I don't know how to account for it. When there's something to fight for I've noticed they are there, not leaving it to their parents and grampys.

Most kids look at us sideways when we say we're hunting and fishing and killing the creatures we love. They don't get the notion of taking wildlife and eating it. They know it will pass as generations move along. They bide their time.

The issue is what they fight for. Wildlife and wilderness, preserving it for future generations, sends them to the barricades. Dinks telling telling them what's good for them, they don't like, either. They're doing their thinking for themselves.

I'm 75, Al. I've seen the best of it. What you're talking about is gone. A scimitar of concrete and highways is covering eastern North America, nearly so in the U.S. Southwest running out of water. They call it progress. Maybe it is.

The traditions of their fathers, however, are no longer seen as wholesome to a growing number of them. I don't disagree with them. We did the best we could with what we knew but a whole generation has grown up with different values.

Regards, King

Last edited by King Brown; 06/24/07 04:45 PM.

Yes Sir, I hear what you say. I have seen with my own eyes the loss of the love of the land and the meaning of the word "FREEDOM".

People have become confused into thinking that our freedom comes from a piece of paper or from a Government. They believe that a Man can rule over them.

They think that Government rules over there freedom and it was granted to them by government, how foolish!

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, a duck for Thanksgiving, and a goose for Christmas won't break me.
BUT!
If nontox comes to upland, and we have one less supplier of the notox stuff, the chaps who use 10 shells to get one bird(doves here)...are in big trouble.

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
King, a duck for Thanksgiving, and a goose for Christmas won't break me.
BUT!
If nontox comes to upland, and we have one less supplier of the notox stuff, the chaps who use 10 shells to get one bird(doves here)...are in big trouble.

Are you talking about me? I resemble that!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You ain't a Reb is you - BIG AL!
I shot by a catfish farm in the south - them boys can use up the lead and feed the fish at the same time.

Found out. And I thought I hid it so well.

Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.