March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run With The Fox,
Go to my article on rebuilding a Meffert drilling in the special issue of Der Waffenschmied about drillings. The photos will show how "sleeving" the barrels is done. The process doesn't depend on the strength of old (maybe welded)barrel steel. With regard to the receiver, in the period this drilling was made, they were typically case hardened, rather than through hardened. Bushing the firing pins, should "square" that problem away. With regard to the possible welding on the inside of the locks, they are not under significant stress anyway, and in reactivating them the main consideration is to save the engraving (they may not have been welded anyway). If all else fails, someone that can make a new barrel set for a new drilling, can certainly make a whole new barrel set for an old drilling. There are people in this world that take it as a challenge if you tell them they can't do something. Some of those people are machinists/gunsmiths. I am neither, yet have successfully repaired a 22-250 chamber that had a hole drilled into it, and removed many "plugs" from "Dewatted" Springfield barrels( ones that didn't have a hole burned into them). None of us that haven't examined the drilling, and don't know the equipment or capability of any particular gunsmith, can say whether he can or can't restore it. There are many things that are impractical but possible. Then it comes down to what is desired.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, in theory. But when you get down to the money possibly involved, and with many fine Drillings for sale both in Europe and here in America, I still think, unless there is a great amount of sentiment involved with this drilling in question here, that retiring it and looking for a useable replacement, within budget, might be the best move. I have seen several "trigger and sear" jobs Fubared big time but those who think that a TIG welder and some filler rod (including copper flash coated coat hanger wire)with Argon shielding gas was the 100% correct approach to building up worn metal surfaces. Plasma spray welding now is my first choice, as long as you have print details as to dims and hardness of the finished component.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run with the Fox,
Of course, you are correct, that a good used drilling would be the most economical; but the whole idea was sentimental, he was asking about making his Greatgrandfather's drilling useable again. The reason I'm still hanging in there with him, is, If I could find my Greatgrandfathers gun, I would feel the same way.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a shame this gun was ruined.
I have always heard the Blue arrow bit, the nicely carved out pieces behind each fence % striker called "Percussion" Fences, to differentiate from the ones without this rather elegant feature
Alas,, I fear its a wall hanger now, but a pretty one , with good memories for you
cheers
franc

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.