March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, JDH, craigd, JayCee, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The head of ballistics & curator of the East Enterprise Double Rifle Club told me today that Ross's article was years ago. This was well before Swiss and now Olde Eynsford -which seems to be nearly identical to Curtis & Harvey #6.
I have to agree, my percussion double loves it. Haven't tried it yet in my double BPE.

Indeed, I found it the article- Summer 1995.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks!

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many paradoxes were never black powder guns. Holland paradox guns were regulated for a variety of charges and cordite types 28 30 33 36 and 40grains of cordite have been documented.
The unique load developed by Ross is a pretty safe load and will regulate many paradoxes with slight variations even early blackpowder paradoxes. Exploras all were originally regulated with capped bullets at 1250 and a bit of tweeking to get them right
20 bores are rare and if a Westley need a special powder for regulation 425gr bullet at 1500fps

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

drhall762: The water-table should tell you a lot about the guns original proof - you may well know this.
Also found more paradox articles in DGJ, Winter 2010 & Spring 2015 by Sherman & Ross.
They both agree that a bullet 0.001-0.003" undersized is the key.
Seems H&H introduced the Paradox in 1886 (from Fosbery 1885 patent) and by 1905 Holland was offering 'magnum 12-bore & Long Range Paradox" this seem to be the time H&H went to Cordite.
Interesting a H&H Royal Grade Ejector 12-bore Paradox made in 1895 loading instructions state "3 drams no.6 powder".
You will enjoy all the reading...

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the info. I was trying to find a master directory or even a yearly one to DGJ back issues but apparently that does not exist. I'll get these ordered if they have some in stock.

Again, thanks.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, the majority of back issues of DGJ are readily available from the publisher!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Ron Vella
Actually, the majority of back issues of DGJ are readily available from the publisher!

I got the three ordered but I was trying to find a Master Index to all the articles from the first issue. No telling what treasures are there. Just cost prohibitive to blindly purchase all back issues.

Dave

Boxlock
Boxlock

Mr Hall, I'm following in your tracks, trying to develop starter load info for my 12 bore double rifle. The brass cases and bullets (lead with 3 grease grooves) and loading tools were received today.

Last edited by Biebs; 08/05/16 09:10 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Biebs
Mr Hall, I'm following in your tracks, trying to develop starter load info for my 12 bore double rifle. The brass cases and bullets (lead with 3 grease grooves) and loading tools were received today.

I received my 3 back issues of DGJ. What a wealth of information there was in just 3 articles on the Paradox and other Bore Rifles. First thing I discovered is that brass cases are not recommended unless the gun was chambered for the thinner brass case. Paper cases like the original Paradox are the recommended case. The issues I purchased were: Summer 1995, Winter 2010 and Spring 2015. There is a part 2 to the Spring 2015 article and as soon as I can confirm when it was published I will order it. My guess would be Summer 2015 but???
There was a good discussion of bullet size and starting loads included.

By the way, I am kind of an old fart and everyone just calls me Dave.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.