April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Southern Sport, SKB, Momslefever, Jimmy W, Der Ami, susjwp), 519 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone used steam instead of boiling when doing barrels? I have a rather nice setup for steaming objects up to 36" in length and wonder if this could be substituted instead of setting up a boiling tank which my shop just does not have room for right now. If so did you need to adjust you process much? I femember one of the factories using both dry and wet heat which I took the later to mean steam in their barrel finishing.

cpa Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many seem to feel it works better than boiling. There is some discussion at http://www.rustblue.com/
There is an interesting discussion of steam blueing at http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/9471048012

Last edited by cpa; 06/06/16 04:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm currently converting from boiling to steaming. I figure it will be easier to deal with leaky ribs that way. I'm tired of dealing with errant drips and the faults they create.

I still use the wet/dry heat method for rusting, the steaming will be the substitute for the boiling tank.

Last edited by Ken61; 06/07/16 10:27 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The nice part about using steam, is you can use tap water and you only need to heat up a quart or so instead of however many gallons your tank holds. wait till you have an obvious plume of stream coming out of your pipe hang the barrels inside and you are good. You don't even have to plug weep holes. I like it much better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Coincidentally, my refrigerator was on the blink, so I had a repair man over yesterday. As he was working, he pulled out, what looked like a mini hand held vacuum cleaner. I asked him what it was and he said it was a steamer to melt the built up ice.

It made me think of this thread and begin to wonder if something such as the mini steamer could be rigged to work for the steam bluing.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

The use of steam instead of boiling had me interested, especially for the previously mentioned purpose of avoiding issues with voids in solder joints and such. Not being in water avoids water getting in the barrels.

I have several barrel sets to do soon and i plan on trying out steam and seeing how the results are.

I normally use a 40" stainless tank over a pipe burner. I am going to build some stands for inside the tank that will suspecd the barrels and also put the tank cover on. That way the barrels will be up out of the small amount of water in the bottom of the tank. That shoukd get the job done.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Cameron
It made me think of this thread and begin to wonder if something such as the mini steamer could be rigged to work for the steam bluing.

I've been using an old fashioned tea kettle to steam small parts, or spot steam a problem area that needed touch-up.

Not been at the process long, and never had a tank for boiling. When I decided I wanted to try it, I just went straight to building a steam chamber.

4" diameter PVC pipe with a removable top and a toilet flange for a base.
Flange is bolted to the lid of a stock pot (would like to find an old pressure cooker).
Pot sits on a propane camp stove.

It works fine as a rusting chamber too. After I steam, the water cools down while I'm carding that just put it back in the chamber for the next rust cycle. When I'm ready to steam again the barrel is taken out and hangs while the water gets to a rapid boil again.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.