May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Der Ami, Lloyd3, skeettx, 1 invisible), 137 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,178
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
I agree with you Mike, it is stupid if you could not, but you can. If a guy kicks in your door and rushes you, you can grab a kitchen knife and defend yourself, if you have the time.

If you feel your life is 'in danger' you may use deadly force. Basically, equal force to that you are confronted with. However, you would have to go and unlock your gun (either trigger lock or gun cabinet) get your ammo (separated from form your guns) then load and fire. And no, we cannot shoot people on our front lawn, whether in the chest, or their back.

Judging by the number of dead children in the U.S, and the lack of statistics showing how people have defended off a home invasion with a gun.....it sounds like a good idea, but in practice....

I have lived in Toronto for for thirty years, and NEVER felt I needed to arm myself. It is quite sad that some of you think you need to, or actually HAVE to. What a stressful way to live. My wife literally weeps for your country. It is sad what is going on there, I hope things turn around for you.

I wonder if Ian Thompson of St Catherines would agree with your claims that we are allowed to defend ourselves in the face of a violent and potentially deadly attack on our homes.

Or ask Mike Hargreaves of Toronto who was charged with multiple firearms offenses after thieves spent two days breaking into his safe while he was out of town.

Dal, there is theory and then there is practical. In Canada, the forces in power are heavily arrayed against gun owners, regardless of what the letter of the law reads.

I have lived in the most violent cities in Canada as well as several decades in Toronto. I too have never felt the need to arm myself. Big deal. That's not really the point. I too weep for a country. not the US though. I weep for Canada, with the insidious creep of the nanny state, the idea that we need the government to look after every aspect of our lives and that we are not just okay with but actually elect officials to push forward the daily loss of our freedoms. Orwell's nightmare vision is alive and well in Canada.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/26/16 11:48 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is a crosscut saw considered a dangerous weapon in Canada? I don't want to do hard time in some Nova Scotia hell hole for stealing a tree.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A jury of her peers would decide her fate under those circumstances.

The majority of the cases, I would think, are murder suicide, so the husband already had a gun. The overwhelming weapon of choice is a kitchen knife in violent domestic disputes in Canada BTW. Her having an AR15 would be irrelevant in most cases, unless she's walking around her residence carrying it, loaded, and unlocked.

A buddy of mine had his wife (ex now) change the locks on their door. He came home after work and had to kick the door in. I guess she should had shot him dead, and create fatherless children. Yup, that's the way life should be, shoot first, then go oops later.

Think about it, do you need to carry, or have within reach, a loaded weapon to feel safe where you live?

Again, your way of life and culture is way different then ours.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Is a crosscut saw considered a dangerous weapon in Canada? I don't want to do hard time in some Nova Scotia hell hole for stealing a tree.

Damn LR, why do you keep dragging humour into this thread??

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

'I don't want to do hard time in some Nova Scotia hell hole for stealing a tree.'

No hard time necessary LR, our prisons are apparently quite comfortable.

Oh, and we've come a long way from using cross cut saws to chop down xmax trees. A battery operated sawzall will suffice now a days.

Last edited by dal; 06/26/16 11:54 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The majority of the cases, I would think, are murder suicide, so the husband already had a gun. The overwhelming weapon of choice is a kitchen knife in violent domestic disputes in Canada BTW. Her having an AR15 would be irrelevant in most cases, unless she's walking around her residence carrying it, loaded, and unlocked.

A buddy of mine had his wife (ex now) change the locks on their door. He came home after work and had to kick the door in. I guess she should had shot him dead, and create fatherless children. Yup, that's the way life should be, shoot first, then go oops later.

Think about it, do you need to carry, or have within reach, a loaded weapon to feel safe where you live?

Again, your way of life and culture is way different then ours.

Lot's of us would say he didn't have to kick the door in. Could have waited. Could have called for dispassionate third parties to help defuse the situation. I suppose there are a good number of motherless children in Canada who wish their mother had some means to protect herself when the husband/boyfriend kicked the door in.

In terms of accuracy, I would guess the 110 pound woman, waiting on the other side of the door with gun at the ready, likely has the upper hand with the usually somewhat intoxicated guy who just burst through the door. But not when she's unarmed.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback, our country is FAR from perfect. No country ever will be......ever. The justice system can also be imperfect, and at times, down right unfair. It is run by humans, and humans are fallible....some more than others unfortunately.

I agree with several of your points about the nanny state, which is why I did not vote liberal.

You would be surprised about how much we might agree upon. But being Canadian, I will not hate you for your views, or consider you and idiot, on points where we disagree.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

'...Lot's of us would say he didn't have to kick the door in. Could have waited...'

So a poor decision, that results in your death is ok?

Tempers flare on our crowded highway, you get out of your car, then get shot...that's ok?

A lovely world, where a loaded gun on hand is the first line of defense. Sound familiar?

Sidelock
Sidelock

So as long as that battered woman could prove her gun and her ammo were locked up when her husband kicked in the door and that that battered woman's pistol was equal force to her husband's bulk and hammer she would be all right.

Had your buddy been battering her? Had she been to the hospital from his beatings? Did she have the equivalent of a restraining order on him, perhaps he was not to come within 100 yards of her?

Because of our Second Amendment firearms are with us. The criminals buy them illegally. In the event of a home invasion I would much rather have the double shotgun I shoot best loaded and next to my bed. I would call the cops and wait in the best position for them to come. Should the thug put me or my family in danger I would use my shotgun.

My office and shop are in a high crime neighborhood. My bookkeeper was working late one night and someone started hammering on the bolt keeping the metal door locked. She called the police and waited, armed, for them to arrive. All of the women that work for me have concealed carry permits. I paid for their class and, in some cases, for their pistol.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

'...to suggest our guns laws are not strict in comparison to the US...'

Where my statement did I 'suggest' your statement above?

'kieth....tell us about our Canadian gun laws and how strict they are please.'

Please read my text, not what you 'think' I said.

In Canada I can own handguns, black guns, hunting guns....

I think you said exactly what you suggested, but since you're a stickler for detail.

It's my understanding, that you don't have the right to own much of anything. There are differences between theory and practice, but you must seek permission to be licensed. What if your PAL mother Canada pulls that permission, or better yet bases her permission on how much money she can squeeze out of you, for fairness of course?

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.