May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (redoak, GETTEMANS, Thaine), 634 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,055
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback said:

"While I don't hunt them exclusively, I do hunt waterfowl enough to have a hunting cabin in a marsh. I like to shoot old guns in every conceivable situation, if I can. For waterfowl, I do have an early 1980's Wingmaster when I really need it but prefer to use one of my three M12 Winchesters from the late 1950's or one of my two Remington 1894 B grades or my Remington 1900.

Those SxS have tons of barrel walls left and are 7.5 pounds plus. The stocks have been fixed (all Remington 1894's and 1900's have cracks) and glass-bedded and I shoot Kent Tungsten and Bismuth out of them. No steel out of anything....even my few (one) modern guns."

My late season diver gun is a 10 ga Rem 1894 of approx. 12 lbs. Due to the education I have picked up here and in reading the DGJ, I knew going into old gun ownership that it was not going to be as simple as owning and shooting a newer steel compatible gun. Researching low pressure loads, acquiring hand reloading tools, changing my gun cleaning habits from the simple wipedown of the chrome lined barrels to something a lot more time consuming all came with ownership.

Is older better? Some days and situations, yes, some no.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I keep getting newer and newer guns to try and find one that works without me messing with it. I think that the needy ones find me.
I spent a lot of time on LC Smith's, and they all needed work. Got a Fox, needed work, got a Parker, needed work.
So I got an Uggie. It needed firing pins and stock work....
So I bought an AYA 4/53. The safety reset when it fired. An easy fix, but still I wanted something that I didn't have to take apart.
I just got an unfired 1993 production Merkel model 8. So far this may end up being the gun I don't have to mess with?
Here's hoping.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

My best hayfork has the original long springy handle with the curvatures in the right places to fit the hand & spring to the work easily.

My best set of wood chisels were blacksmith made in the old Tokyo prefecture circa mid to late 1800, like Samurai swords.

My nicest working blacksmith hammers are all old, as is my springiest best ringing anvil.

Just saying this to make the point that quality old hand tools have a feel in their function that lets you know that it was designed & made by people that actually used them. They seem to hold better edges, fit the hand well, cut & swing smoothly, work with you & enhance the work experience, are not thick & clumsy but fine & graceful. They combine function with art & appearance to a level that I do not see in most new hand tools unless they are a reproduction of the old tool. Like Veritas wood planes or Pfeil chisels & Japanese pull saws.
British doubles are the same type of tool to me, & to buy all that functional beauty & grace for the sums generally asked is a bargain & gift of God.
O.M

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

mergus: well said!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Mr. Lloyd when are you going to call Mr. James Purdey & Sons and order your new shotgun?

That's the only option left and with a three year waiting period, or is it four years now, you better get started. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Edit:

Deleted - got my threads mixed up.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/15/16 11:10 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not on a tablet, Moses, but I'll take it as it is. Thank you.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Treblig:

New Spanish and new Turkish (the Turk is mine). The price of the lower gun wouldn't even cover the cost for a fitting at Audley House.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/15/16 01:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

First time I took my middle son duck hunting in SE MO I was using a 102 year old Lefever with Bismuth shot. The guide was not impressed to say the least. Good hunters used black plastic semi autos with 3" or 3-1/2" shells. I went 6x6 for my limit. My son shooting a Remington 1900 went 6x7 for his limit. After that the guide was a little less picky.

I like hunting with old doubles, more so if there is a personal connection to family or the past. Last year I opened Dove season with my late uncles .410 Crescent double. For the last five decades of his life he was too crippled to hunt due to childhood Polio and Rumatic Fever. Holding a pencil was hard swinging a gun impossible buy he kept that gun and cleaned it every year like this year he might go one more time. He never shot Dove with it but he was pure magic on quail with it I am told. He had it choked light Skeet and tight full. Not a gun worth any money at all but one that I find priceless for family value. Funny thing is that he never accepted a handicapped sticker, he never considered himself handicapped so the rest of our family just never saw him as handicapped, just Uncle Jr.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at that curl!!! I could warm up real fast to a shotgun that has that wood on it.

That Spaniard is no slouch either. smile

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.