April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 409 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello, my name is Steven Norton and I believe this might be a new and interesting forum to conduct research among other collectors. For a while now I have been researching the relationship between Adolph Neidner and the US Marine Corps.

Mr. Neidner mounted 150 Telescopic Sights on Marine Corps 1903 Springfield Rifles in May and June 1917, at the Philadelphia Depot of Supplies. It is believed he used the tapered block design that Dr. Mann had created a few years previous

The one area of interest that I am researching are these tapered blocks. Does anyone on here have a Neidner Converted 1903 rifle that predate his move to MI in 1920? I am mostly interested in rifles he converted prior to 1920, in his MA Garage, and especially around the 1917 time frame. I figure since this is the same time he did the conversion for the Marines, his commercial conversions would be very similar.

I suspect that his commercial conversions would be much more attainable, than the actual Marine rifles, which have been rebuilt/parts replaced, or been fabricated by humpers. And this would give a clearer picture of what his actual work really looked like.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated in this.

Steve Norton
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I have no information to assist in your research, I would like to welcome you to the forum. While it has been a bit slow around here of late, there are some very knowledgeable collectors who follow this forum that I am sure may have some useful information.

Welcome aboard,

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a retired USMC 2112MOS (Master Armorer) and a Senior NCO as well- I saw several of these when attending the USMC Armorer's School at Quantico, VA. I forgot that Neider moved to Michigan around 1920- wasn't he settled in Dowagiac, same as master stockmaker Tom Shellhamer? You might contact the USMC base at Quantico and see what their museum has on the WW1 era weapons used by "Der Teuful Hunden" against the Hun in WW1`- We received the "Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" from Adm. Nimitz a few years later, and against the Japs, not the Krauts, as in WW1- Humpers, pogies, snuffies- all the 10%ers who retire after the 4 years as senior Pfc's. Semper Fi!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Run With The Fox,
Adm.Nimitz's statement was about the Marines at Iwo Jima, where My father lost his younger brother( 4th Marine div.)when I was 21 days old. Even though I was in the Army, my family always had a special place in our hearts for Marines. Semper Fi from an old soldier.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 06/09/16 06:05 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Semper Fi Gentleman, and thank you both for your Service. smile I have a special appreciation with Iwo Jima as I imagine most Marines do. I always try to collect anything I can associate to the Island

Run with the Fox, when were you at PWS? I love talking to 2112's. I screwed up when I joined, I wanted to do Infantry and I just didn't know any better at 18. If I could have done anything in the Marines now, I would have been a 2112. I think that has to be one of the most interesting jobs in the Corps.

I talk all the time to a friend who was a 2112 in the mid 2000's and always pick any new 2112's brain when I run across one.

The Marine Corps doesn't change much and usually the same way you Gentlemen build rifles hasn't changed much over the years. So I've been able to piece together traits on the older snipers by interviewing 2112's.

Yes Neidner moved to Dowagiac in 1920. I've been trying to figure out this Winchester A-5 Mystery for a while now. I keep on pulling documents from Archive locations and find new info everytime. It seems to be almost 5 different time periods of the A-5 Telescopic sight in the Marines and that is what makes it even more confusing in the documents.

I've tried Quantico many times as I write articles on Marine rifles, but have always struck out there. It seems most of the documents have been moved to a archive location.

Last edited by Steven Norton; 06/09/16 07:16 PM.

Steve Norton
Sidelock
Sidelock

Outside the box thought. Leupold & Stevens are involved in an inter-service sniper styled event in Beaverton Oregon (their HQ)-I'll be a case of John Wayne crackers that some of the "dingers" out there for that event might be able to help-worth a shot anyway- and no "maggie's drawers" either.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

This may be a long shot but there was a guy that corresponded with Michael Petrov on the www.jouster.com forum about
Niedner sniper rifles named Jim Tarleton, his handle on that
forum is "Marine A5 sniper rifle". Maybe he can help you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The dozen or so 1903 Springfields that Niedner converted to .22 rim fire in Malden had those tapered Mann/Niedner scope blocks.

Perhaps the owner of one of those can help. Two have sold in recent years, one from Petrov's collection, one from mine.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Gentlemen for responding. I've talked to Tarleton many times, but I believe I'm in uncharted territory.

Terry, actually the blocks on those Niedner .22 rifles are what have caused my question. They are different than the ones you see on Marine rifles and even in vintage Marine pictures.

The tapered blocks on Marine rifles, that are credited to Niedner, have wings that spread out from the block and cover more area on the receiver. All the commercial Niedner rifles I have seen so far, do not have these wings. So the design is similar but different on Marine rifles.

It is a very long story, but I believe the ones with wings are made by the Marines post WWI. I'm basically trying to see if I can find one Niedner commercial rifle with those wings.

But here is a original Marine tapered block, compared to the ones on the .22 Niedner rifles that sold.

And here is a pic of the wings circled on the blocks. I do not see these wings on all the commercial rifles I have seen so far.

Last edited by Steven Norton; 06/11/16 04:35 PM.

Steve Norton
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I should add, I have no idea how to spell his name correctly. Half the stuff out there spells it Neidner, the other spells it Niedner.

The FBI report is Neidner, and I've seen rifles even with it spelled both ways. So I don't know exactly for sure how it's spelled. smile

Steve Norton
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.