April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jem Finch, Mark Larson), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,120
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Replacing a forend loop in a gun that came in without a forend iron. I found a matching pair and need to place the forend loop properly and then make and cut the bottom rib.
I have relaid half a dozen ribs, top and bottom but always reused the original ribs and simply placed them as they were at the factory before soldering.
On this one, placing the loop/lug is different. Should I find the correct placement first (by trial and error)without the botom rib, solder it in? And then cut the ribs to accomodate that and solder them in? Any assistance would be most appreciated. Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil
I believe that you need to get the forend lump in the right place first. It may be benifical if you remember how they are making minor adjustments on modern guns. They put the lump on a vise and hit it extruding metal on a loose fit. Ato tight fit is file fit. We are not talking about 1/4 inch , just a few thousands. The botton ribs should be no trouble.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

i hooked Gil up with the lug and forend iron for his project. (Second style sterlingworth setup - model 1911).

Gill,

The measurement on these barrels that i pulled the lug from is 2.27" from the face of the barrel lug to the rear of the forend loop. That is essencially the length of the rear rib section.

Since your new forend has a spring loaded plunger in it, if it is a little bit more foreard or back, you should be ok.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Easiest way would be to put the barrel on the action , strip the forend and put on the gun withe the loop un-soldered , mark the position .The loop can then be soldered into place and the ribs cut and fitted as required . Always a good idea to set the loop about .020" back to allow for errors and this can then be adjusted by either filing the loop or the forend iron to fit.
Do not under any circumstance do as previously suggested try to squeeze the loop in a vice to stretch it . Try the fit of the loop after soldering to make sure it is OK before ribbing so if it needs adjusting it can be moved without problem .

I have done this on many barrels when replacing ribs that have become damaged or fitting new loops on sleevers where a difference in tube size has meant the original loop would not be suitable .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am into this now. I set the lug where I thought it should be and it seemed a little to close to the nuckle, so I just moved it out about .020". I'll try it again in a while, those parts take a while to cool.

Thanks to all who have responded. I will follow with a picture trail when I get it right for anyone interested. Gil

[IMG]

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.