March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good evening gents! I am considering buying a sxs muzzle loading rifle for use in the muzzle loading only deer season here in MI. I have zero fancy for the modern inlines, nor for single barrel rifles. I have long been a fancier of English double shotguns, and so a double rifle has an appeal to me, especially those with similar designs to the double shotguns. From pursuing the gun auction sites, it seems that the ML double rifles are less common then their shotgun equivalents, and vastly more expensive. I am however just learning about them. The only one I have found that is old and under $4,000 is on gunbroker, but its a un named one proved in Birmingham for $2,300. Is that to be expected? Un named shotguns would be decidedly under $1,000 and many known names, such as I. Hollis, can still be had for under $1,000. Are rifles really that much more or is it simply what happens to be for sale at the present moment?

It would also seem that ML cape guns are just as high, even more expensive then their cartridge cousins.

Any does anyone have the Summer 1998 edition of the DGJ? From the index in the most recent DGJ, it would seem that there was an article on muzzle loading double rifles in that edition. I was wondering if it focused just on one rifle, or had useful info on all ML doubles. I would enjoy learning what I can, even if I don't purchase one right away.

Thank you in advance for any insight on the twisted (rifled) side of doubles!

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't speak for Michigan, but in Vermont muzzle loader season in single shot only, so no double rifles.

I have opinions on your other questions (double rifles are expensive, and there are less of them), but no real comparable data.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the last thirty years at least the rifles have been significantly more expensive than the shotguns. The near exception has been top quality samples in exceptional condition where prices can be fairly close. Even there, rifles tend to bring more. At least two factors are involved. First, the rifles are far less common. Second, I think they involved more expense to produce. Nowadays the best source for finding a good percussion double rifle is probably the major sporting arms auctions. They don't appear often on the open market. As an aside, I'll point out British rifles were often built to shoot a belted ball or another specialized bullet, and the rifles are often separated from their moulds. From experience with two doubles made for belted ball, I can say both shot quite well with round balls. Good luck with your search.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen! I was guessing the value was due to there being fewer but I wanted to check. There are a couple options out there, and even a really nice priced double 30-06.... so many options!

NRA Patron Life Member
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Another factor in my mind is demand. I myself am much more inclined to grab a muzzle loading rifle in pursuit game than a muzzle loading shotgun. I like the challenge of getting close to big game to make the shot. I like single barrel rifles better than double rifles but do appreciate a nice double. The fact that for some odd reason Colorado law prohibits the use of doubles for hunting during muzzle loader season does make them less desirable here. If you really want one be patient, they do show up occasionally.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall an old DGJ article about an African plains game hunt with a Davide Pedersoli .58 muzzle loading double rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The NMLRA holds a Muzzleloading Double Rifle Match on the first Sunday afternoon of the week long shoot.
There will be vintage as well as reproductions. Total shots for score is about 24.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a Joseph Lang and Sons double rifle I hunted with last season and I think you're on a good course...it was a hoot. My rifle was inherited from an uncle that love the old muzzleloader a and this one was in a pretty sorry state when he got it. He disassembled the works, repaired a broken stick, fitted new wood, replaced missing bits, and then re-rifled the bores and re-soldered and regulated the rifle. It ended up at .76 caliber when the rifling finally cleaned up with something like a 1-110" twist. Shoots 700 gr patched round balls with 110gr of old DuPont black powder to point of aim at 60 yards and the flip up leaf sights allow for 100, 150, and 200 yards although I've only shot it to 100. You might consider a quality percussion shotgun that you could build a set of replacement barrels for it too...just a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is another Joseph Lang. I shot deer with it (one with each barrel) and then decided that I really had no need for two barrels in a deer rifle and eventually sold it. It was a great gun but just not really useful and I spent more time unloading the unfired barrel than I ever wanted to and really never needed it to back up the first barrel.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

thank you for sharing those pictures its good to know there are still percussion rifles seeing active service! How did it group? shame you sold it its probably hanging on a wall somewhere now frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.