May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Themauserkid, 2 invisible), 235 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,965
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
My advice would be to spend the money and buy what the rich like. Lets see, who is the best shotgun maker in Birmingham. I would say William Powell. Given that I would look for old SLE from that maker in good original condition.

This is like taking advice on buying a Harley Davidson from those guys who have Harley tee shirts, Harley leather jackets, Harley tattoos, and Harley wallets that are chained to their belt with a Harley belt buckle... but they don't even own a bike.

Jag has told us he owns one shotgun, a short barreled Ithaca mod 37 pump. He rents a .22 rifle. I didn't even know you could rent a .22 rifle. Do Rent-A-Centers have FFL's? He did mention having a 20 ga N.I.D. on layaway a while back. I guess that Obama Hope and Change hasn't worked out well for him.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #444780 05/20/16 03:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
My advice would be to spend the money and buy what the rich like. Lets see, who is the best shotgun maker in Birmingham. I would say William Powell. Given that I would look for old SLE from that maker in good original condition.

This is like taking advice on buying a Harley Davidson from those guys who have Harley tee shirts, Harley leather jackets, Harley tattoos, and Harley wallets that are chained to their belt with a Harley belt buckle... but they don't even own a bike.

Jag has told us he owns one shotgun, a short barreled Ithaca mod 37 pump. He rents a .22 rifle. I didn't even know you could rent a .22 rifle. Do Rent-A-Centers have FFL's? He did mention having a 20 ga N.I.D. on layaway a while back. I guess that Obama Hope and Change hasn't worked out well for him.

I would say quality over quantity. What is your suggestion. Can you make specific recommendations?

SWAMPMAN #444783 05/20/16 03:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive been a SXS enthusiast/collector for years and over the years Ive owned some nice guns and generally make money with my hobby, which is nice because Ill typically buy a gun that interests me without worrying about profit. However, I tend to purchase guns that need minor repairs or freshening up and since I enjoy the work its not a problem for me. In fact, after my wife passed away I bought several project guns as therapy to distract me from the sadness and lose I felt.

No ones inquired about what this mans motivations are. Is he someone who only wants pristine guns or like me does he enjoy amateur gunsmithing or have similar talents. Being a bottom feeder like I am can make the hobby very affordable.

Steve

PS my first project gun was a Crescent. For various reasons I wouldn't own another. It was a hammer gun and someone bought it as a cowboy action gun. A fitting fate for a gun with .701" bores because the factory "forgot" to finish the bores after cutting the chokes.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
SWAMPMAN #444788 05/20/16 05:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've owned dozens of Crescent doubles over the years. They are cheap, but work. My suggestion is that it all depends on the man's interest. I enjoy American doubles like Parkers, but English guns just make me smile like no American one has. If that is the same for him, less known names made in Bham can be had quite reasonably. Or start with the highest quality Parker or similar that he can afford

NRA Patron Life Member
SWAMPMAN #444814 05/20/16 07:29 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

I think he needs to look around first at the gun shows and handle some examples to learn what to look for. Ring some barrels, check some stocks for cracks, is it on face? Hopefully go with someone who knows what to look for. Do some reading on this site and others. I have learned so much just by reading what guys post on this site! Before you buy anything get some knowledge then buy what you like and can afford.I like Ithaca others Parker or Smith. Just my opinion.

SWAMPMAN #444869 05/21/16 09:36 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your input. The potential new collector/shooter is primarily interested in guns he can use.
I think the American guns are most interesting to him.
Your suggestions have been passed on.
I have loaned him several books on shotguns.

Thanks all.

Swampman

SWAMPMAN #444870 05/21/16 10:21 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If shooting the gun is the primary motivation, money, time and risk evaluation would drive me to recommend buying a new sxs gun like the SKB. Old American guns generally have stock dimensions which aren't suited for most shooters. Many will require special low pressure ammo.

SWAMPMAN #444888 05/21/16 01:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns he can use . . . I think the best values, in terms of guns one can use without recourse to anything except off the shelf ammo, would be in guns made since WWII. I'd put the Japanese doubles (Ithaca SKB, Browning BSS, Charles Daly made by Miroku) at or near the top of the list. They're sort of American, in the sense that they were marketed (albeit not made) by American gun companies or importers. From the Italians, Berettas and Bernardellis. From the Germans, post-war Sauers, Simsons, and Merkels. Those are probably the most often encountered post-WWII side by sides that are solid performers and reasonably priced. I've avoided the Spaniards, which is a bit unfair. Toss in anything made by either AyA or Ugartechea. These are all guns that will shoot whatever Wal-Mart sells, and need a minimum amount of TLC. They fit the general category of "good using guns for not a lot of money".

SWAMPMAN #444892 05/21/16 01:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

tell him don't...if he still does...at least your conscious will be clear....

gunut
SWAMPMAN #444968 05/22/16 12:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

One who doesn't make mistakes, hasn't learned much. Dive in while the water's warm, take your lumps, and enjoy the swim. From a learning perspective, and with the exception of relic guns, there are few double guns that can't be enjoyed. My dad said to buy the best you can afford, and you'll never be sorry. While I generally agree, most doubles have something to offer, and to learn from. No one ever stops at just one. My two cents.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.