April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
moses Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ZZ were created to mimic a live pigeon jumping the trap.
I see clays as training for the real bird.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
This place is always such a hoot to visit! Shooting a flying target is not the same as shooting a flying target! Lemme see now. I wonder how that works?....

Let's try this Doc. I'm not interest in particulars, would you have a number, within say twenty, of how many shotguns you have. All the same model, stock, tune? All anyone needs is one, right?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well let me see now. I have shot close flushing quail & woodcock & also a few pass shots at high flying geese. All were flying birds but anyone who thinks the discipline & needed gun is the same is ABSOLUTELY TOO IGNORANT to even consider their input. I love the straight grip stocks & have never found them a deterrent to my shooting. I never walked in to flush quail with a pre-mounted gun. Perhaps if I did I would feel different, but a straight grip puts the hand in a very comfortable position ready for the flush. The gun then comes up naturally & smoothly. I am not so Ignorant as to believe that taking a shot at an unknown moment from a gun at ready is identical to pre mounting a gun & then calling for the "bird" to be shot at a known direction within certain limits. NUFF SAID

According to info which appeared in the american rifleman some years back Sgt York did indeed us the 1917 Enfield. Although the 1903 Springfield was considered standard issue more Enfields were actually in use during WWI than the 1903's simply because of supply.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Target shooting and field shooting are not diff anythings. Both use shotguns to kill a target as efficiently as possible. functionality of the tool is paramount and optimizing that should be a goal to insure the efficient killing aspect. If you select a tool for any activity on the basis of appearance before functionality you will handicap your performance?

The reality is grip style and which has superiority is in great part subjective.

I agree clays is training for real birds, but that does not create a fact of sameness.

I disagree, clay targets are different from live birds. Firstly flight paths of clays are more consistent and predictable than live birds. Secondly the moment of launch of clays is predictable and expected to a far greater degree than birds. Further to be successful on an individual clay target one need only to break off a visible piece, to be successful on live birds you normally must achieve multiple hits to include a vital area.

You definitive statements of your opinion as declared unrelenting truth fails to allow for all the real variables at play when shooting flying. While I agree that pistol grips seem to enjoy greater popularity on the clays field popularity, that fact is not proof of superiority despite its inferred implications. All the popular beliefs in the shotgunning sports later shown wrong is proof that popular belief is not proof of fact.

I shoot both straight and PoW grips regularly, I shoot straight grips more successfully; what does that prove?n Nothing save what works for me.

Last edited by old colonel; 05/07/16 09:07 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

At this time there are only eight guns in the safe but most of those have multiple barrel sets so realistically more like double that.

I never said one gun was good for everything I said the functionality of the pistol grip was superior. You can do what you like with that. That superiority is based purely on anatomical considerations and unless you are deformed and your hands are at some strange angle to the forearm then a pistol grip places the hand in a position that is more capable of utilizing the the bone and muscle structure in a facile manner. The simple truth of that is borne out by the utilization of the PG by just about every shooter in the world that depends on his shooting success to provide employment or to provide the max potential to survive in high$ games. And that includes EVERY firearm kind of international competition.
Take a long hard look at this from a perspective of massively compromised functionality.

There is nothing about the geometries of that gun that would not benefit from the last 100yrs worth of the evolution of ergonomic understanding.

Attempting to somehow rationalize a primitive design as the grail would have you all on Commodores. Get real. If you want to shoot antiques - knock yerself out. (and with all that drop you prolly will) But blathering about how that is the Path of the Righteous is nothing less than absurd.

have another day
Dr.WtS
T

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is nothing about the geometries of that gun that would not benefit from the last 100yrs worth of the evolution of ergonomic understanding.

Attempting to somehow rationalize a primitive design as the grail would have you all on Commodores. Get real. If you want to shoot antiques - knock yerself out. (and with all that drop you prolly will) But blathering about how that is the Path of the Righteous is nothing less than absurd.

have another day
Dr.WtS
T

I'm not sure who was thinking all guns should have a straight or POW grip. Purely for ergonomics, if that gun would benefit from a lazy "L" hanging behind the triggers, why wouldn't a "T" coming off at a right angle improve the forearm?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmmm - you might want to give that some more thot. Ergonomics may line up with physics on this forum.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is food for thought. I guess if I was solely interested in the absolute pinnacle of ergonomic function, I wouldn't even consider a vintage wood and steel side by side double barrel, and my flintlocks would be totally out of the question. There's something to be said for going back to earlier simpler times or even handicapping yourself to make things more sporting or interesting.

But from a strict ergonomic standpoint, I note that when I raise my hands from my sides, the most natural position is for my hands to come up palms facing down. I must consciously turn my wrists to position my hands to grasp either a forearm or a pistol grip. This should make us question whether those black gangsta rappers who point and shoot their pistols side-ways are actually doing it the correct way. I was told they hold and shoot their handguns that way because that is how they come out of the box. It appears there may be more to it than that simple explanation. Perhaps we should ask Ed Good for his opinion. Here's Ed now:

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My straight gripped shotguns hurt my wrists when I have to carry them all day. The pistol or POW style grip works better for me personally. Doesn't make much difference to me when sitting on a dove stand or in a duck blind. As for the effect on my shooting, I shoot either style OK...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Well let me see now. I have shot close flushing quail & woodcock & also a few pass shots at high flying geese. All were flying birds but anyone who thinks the discipline & needed gun is the same is ABSOLUTELY TOO IGNORANT to even consider their input. I love the straight grip stocks & have never found them a deterrent to my shooting. I never walked in to flush quail with a pre-mounted gun. Perhaps if I did I would feel different, but a straight grip puts the hand in a very comfortable position ready for the flush. The gun then comes up naturally & smoothly. I am not so Ignorant as to believe that taking a shot at an unknown moment from a gun at ready is identical to pre mounting a gun & then calling for the "bird" to be shot at a known direction within certain limits. NUFF SAID

+1 - a sensible reply!
I am rarely outspoken, but there is a load of utter rubbish being written in this thread.
I am neither 'deformed' nor stupid, but a straight hand stock is ideal for me and many people for many kinds of shooting, especially fast instinctive game shooting.

Why do you think that for perhaps 150 years the vast majority of the 'best' game guns have been made that way?

To be honest, some people need to go away and learn a bit about the subject and it's history before spouting forth based on their own personal opinions.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.