April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (HalfaDouble, 2 invisible), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,834
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#443074 04/29/16 09:30 PM
DanLH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fred will be along to post some photos for me. They show 4 S man rifles and an interesting thing has come up. The ones with the long slide Lyman 48 do not have the carving on the borders of the checkering pattern. Those with the post 1920 shorter slide do have the carving. My theory is that S man graduated to the carving later in his working time. I have found 3 additional guns which fall into the same pattern. Anyone out there with additional guns which may agree or disagree with this theory? Of course he could have still used a long slide on a later gun.

Dan

DanLH #443095 04/30/16 07:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here they are, I've numbered them to make the discussion a bit easier

picture #1

picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Picture #6

Picture #7

Picture #8

Picture #9

DanLH #443189 05/01/16 05:20 PM
H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Forgive my total ignorance here. I'm sure I must have missed something. But who is "S man," or where does the term come from?

DanLH #443192 05/01/16 06:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That oak leaf carving on the borders of the checkering is really starting to grow on me.

DanLH #443197 05/01/16 08:09 PM
DanLH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The S-man name was one that Michael Petrov put on these rifles made by an unknown maker until he could figure out who the maker was. But unfortunately the maker is still unknown. I'm sure the S came from the pistol grip shape. I remember how excited Michael was when I sent him photos of the first one I got as it was something like the 5th one he had seen. He later got the one with the scope shown in the photos that I got from his auction.
Dan

DanLH #443199 05/01/16 08:35 PM
H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Thank you DanLH. That's an interesting story. These rifles certainly show a distinctive style. Hopefully someone will be able to connect them with a name. Any idea as to which region of the country they're from?

DanLH #443217 05/02/16 12:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find this thread interesting since I own 2 rifles that are almost identical to the one Michael displayed in his first book on page 92. Rifle 1 I received from Oregon, serial #657895, it has the s shaped pistol grip bottom, tapered sleeve in front of action, long slide Lyman 48. Stock style appears identical to the one on page 92. Rifle #2 came from the Ohio area about a year later and is serial #1180051, it has a Lyman 48s correct to the 1920-30 era. The stock and metal work is identical to the other ones. I am wondering some one in that era was producing Springfield sporters in an economy version similar to Sedgley, if so there must be more out there. Michael and I corresponded about these rifles but he passed away shortly after.

Rifle 1

Rifle 2

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

DanLH #443346 05/03/16 11:30 PM
DanLH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

H47,
I don't think we have established a part of the country where these were made. My first one (picture 9) came from CA but the widow who sold it said her husband had bought it at Paul Jaeger's shop in PA. I think Michael's rifle with scope came out of WA state. The one with the poorly repaired stock came from TX. I just got the full stocked one and I will see where the seller may have found it. I know one of the Kornbrath engraved ones came out of IL and I will try to find out where another of the engraved ones was found. I don't know if Michael's papers have any more info about where the rifles have turned up.
Dan

DanLH #443371 05/04/16 01:07 PM
H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

DanLH, that's a pretty wide geographic distribution. I've been thinking about this a lot, with no particular conclusions though. The style is certainly distinctive and should be easy to identify in other guns if need be. For a couple of things, the contour transition between the point of the comb and top of the grip is much more gradual in your examples than those from other makers, but seems very consistent here. The contour at the ejection port is likewise more along the lines of an armory stock. And the S shape of the grip bottom is very different from others.. also more "heavy handed" and obvious if you will.

It can be tricky to tell from the photos, but the checkering appears to use a 3 1/2 to 1 proportion diamond, and this appears consistent too. The other example from James - I seems to have a 3:1 proportion. Not the same maker. The checkering is oddly proportioned and located, less delicate and artistic than from other makers, and includes a lot of surface,area. I might tentatively conclude from all this a few things.... I don't think this guy was a "master" although he may have worked around or been influenced by one. From the quality of the checkering and consistency of style, I would conclude that he was a good "mechanic" but somewhat lacked an artistic sense of shaoe, design, and proportion, at least to the extent exhibited by the better known makers of the time.

So he may have been locally or maybe regionally known, but never achieved top status. He might have worked as a carver in the furniture industry for example, copying patterns provided by others. Or maybe in some other aspect of wood working, and did gunstocks as a sideline. It would be hard to identify his styles as "Germanic" for example, although a bit easier to consider it a bit primitive or self taught in the "Grandma Moses" sense. And imho the style is rather unlike anything else from the era.

I'm sure at some point it will be possible to identify a certain area or individual. I hope so anyway. I will assume that these have been disassembled and that there are no helpful stamps or inscriptions inside..

DanLH #443387 05/04/16 05:10 PM
H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Another option might be to try to research the serial numbers,for old sales records. I see that Springfield Research Service does this for $65 per number plus cost of a magazine subscription.. might reveal to whom the original metal was sold. If a common location could be found, that would be a great start .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.