Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two Piper, the first commercially available centerfire that i know of was Pauly of 1812 in France. I am on the road, but at home have pictures of an exquisite centerfire made 100 years before that in the early 1700s.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently acquired a 20-gauge Gastinne Renette shotgun made during the first decade of 1900 and I am very impressed by its quality and handling. It is my first french gun and hopefully not the last.
BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was asked by wingshooter to translate the definitive pamphlet on the Manufrance Ideal shotgun. I read it cover to cover... Time would not allow me to do a good job so I sent it back to Mike. But that was just one of several Manufrance models. It will give you an idea of the excellence of St Etienne manufactures. Maybe one day I'll be able to get to this seriously, possibly within the next year.

Lots of French guns on this board...take a look at this line.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...4910b29ab4af82b

Last edited by Argo44; 05/01/16 12:01 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one ad that describes the Ideal as "Le plus beau et le plus parfait fusil du monde." Most beautiful and most perfect . . . there she is, Miss America! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl;
I'll not disagree with you on that. My real meaning was that a pinfire is not a central fire.
The statement I was truly disagreeing with was that the Lefaucheux Pinfire was the original central fire beech loader.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
I was asked by wingshooter to translate the definitive pamphlet on the Manufrance Ideal shotgun. I read it cover to cover... Time would not allow me to do a good job so I sent it back to Mike. But that was just one of several Manufrance models. It will give you an idea of the excellence of St Etienne manufactures. Maybe one day I'll be able to get to this seriously, possibly within the next year.

Lots of French guns on this board...take a look at this line.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...4910b29ab4af82b

Argo, thanks for posting that thread. I thought I had seen all the MF Ideal threads on here but somehow had missed that one. I was a fairly active member of the DarneUSA forum until it shut down last year. Had been trying to help make it a repository for MF Ideal information, as much as I could. Sad we lost it all. Sorry to hear time constraints on the Wingshooter project. Mike told me about that last week and I was really looking forward to the finished project. I can use my high school French to get through a lot of it when I concentrate but the gun jargon throws me off.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Count me in.
I can translate whatever.
One of my project is a gun dictionary, including English, French and Belgian!
This might sound dumb, but the words are often different.
As an example "poudre vive" is Belgian, "poudre pyroxylee" is French...
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

One or the other also uses "poudre blanche" if I recall correctly. That's a very worthwhile project, WC. I've thought of it myself from time to time . . . particularly when I forget some bit of "gun French" that I used to know and have to dig around to resurrect it.

We probably need to compare French gun libraries at some point. I have a few gun books in French, but not many. If I were to read Journee cover to cover, I'd likely have it nailed. But there's also a lot of highly technical stuff in his book.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/01/16 06:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been curious about this mark on Builder's gun:

It looks like "B P 72" or "P P" to me. I assume 72 might be the length of the chambers. I can't find a reference to "B P" in French marks....but at least in Hungary, which seems to have used some French conventions, it refers to Nitro Proof.

My spouse recalls that in St. Etienne...the locals referred to Manufrance as "La Manu"... I'll see what one of her relatives has to say about this.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/01/16 10:14 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And another thought; If wing shooter could scan that publication and post it a page at a time, we might be able to "crowd-translate it." i.e we could do a page at a time as time permits. I could do 20 pages...90 would really have been a bridge too far.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.