April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marks_21, Replacement, SKB, Mr W martin, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 1,027 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1cdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How much of an issue is it to replace the gold/silver oval on the bottom of the stock? The current one has initials and I would want a blank oval installed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many of the old ones were set in with shellac . If so a soldering iron will loosen it up. If the oval is thick enough and the engraving light enough polish it off and reinstall. If not how much of an issue it is becomes how close the replacement is to the original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some, like the Parkers are set in place with multiple tiny nails made of the same material as the oval. All in place around the edge of the oval into shallow countersinks and polished off flush along with the oval and surface of the wood during finishing.

Some are soldered blindly to a wood screw that is first set into the inletted area and carefully adjusted to depth and it's head filed (generally) so it lies just under the back of the oval when placed in position. The screw head is them 'tinned' with soft solder, the back of the oval is fluxed and layed in place. The two are pressed into place and held w/a soldering copper as the solder between the two melts and joins them at the back. The outer surface then gets a finish polish to touch up and define the metal to wood fit.

New work is generally just epoxied in place now.

You can see to make it really fit perfectly, it takes some polishing of the fitted oval to the stock surface around it. On a finished stock that also means some wood finishing beyound rubbing some magic linseed around the area to make it look right.

On a oval still in the wood that you try and remove the existing engraving w/o removing the oval itself,,you run have a couple of things against you.
The biggest thing is that you have no idea how thick the oval material is, and how thin it will be when you get through polishing out the existing engraving. It may look great, or at least presentable, but when the engraver touches the surface to cut the new work, it may indent or even break through.
On thing for sure, you don't know till you try!

Also with this attempt is it is very difficult to polish out the oval w/o scarfing up the surrounding wood and you have the same wood refinish problem as above.

Just some thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just one tip to obtain a perfect metal to wood fit it is a good idea to taper the edge of the oval slightly, so when you finally tap it in to place it fits its recess tightly all round the ovals perimeter because of the slight wedging action.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1cdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the responses!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a late 1930s Birmingham BLNE that has the stock initial oval attached with a series of small tack-like nails, as Kutter indicates they must be made of the same material as the shield is. I had a broken foot a while ago, and took the gun in with me for X-rays to see how the butt extension was attached, and those shield nails showed up very clearly.

1cdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually instead of replacing the ovals I had Kirk Merrington just buff the initials out. Kirk did a magnificent job! Just looks like a blank oval - which is what I wanted.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.