May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, canvasback, NCTarheel, 3 invisible), 918 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,660
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 55 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 54 55
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks rev.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

The description the revdocdrew just gave us has only one subtile difference in it between the two kinds. Starting from a ball or starting from strips. I believe we need to see someone make some of these patterns to grasp the methods of manufacture. Thanks to all who posted here! Great subject! David

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very good definition. Just remember that is a gunmakers definition. A blade maker would view the "lamination" as damascus.

The gunmaker starts with a billet. This is heated, then hammered, ie forge welded.

This animation shows how a blade maker approaches it. They keep welding, drawing out and folding the billet.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow you guys what an amazing site, I am no good with computers so you will have to bear with me, I do not know how to add pictures but I have some that you may like on the damascus picture trail, perhaps I can send a disc to someone and they can add them for me. I am from the uk my grandfather blacked and browned gun barrels all his life like his father and grandfather before him they have done this work for over 150 years ( I am still tracing the familly tree!) they are well known for their work here, when my grandfather had the business in london they finished the barrels for all the well known makers Purdeys, Boss, Holland and Holland, Rigby etc, he started in the trade at 12 and his first job was to go around all these famous firms with a hand barrow collecting and delivering all the barrels. if you guys are interested in what happened to this gun finishing familly let me know. Also I have a set of miniature muzzle loaders that my grandfather made everything works on them, he made everything by hand including damascus barrels, there are two flintlocks and two percussion a single and double of each, I would love to put some pictures on here

Sidelock
Sidelock

barrel browner,

I just sent you and email. If you can attach the pictures to an email, I will post them here. Then they can be put up on picture trail.

Here is the FAQ on how to post pictures here:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...0df792#Post6339

I for one would love to hear more.

Pete

PeteM #44545 06/19/07 05:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also just sent an e-mail, and thanks Paul for your willingness to contribute! Drew

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are barrel browner's pictures. I will let him explain them.

Pete

PeteM #44664 06/20/07 09:01 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Beautifully re-finished Three Iron Crolle Paul-what do they call that pattern in England? Horse-shoe?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first barrel is a blacking job using a rusting process, the second is the miniature muzzle loaders my grandfather made, he started making them in the late sixties as a hobby,the only work he did not do was the engraving that was done by Ken Hunt, I will sort out some more pics of the barrels, ( if anyone has a pair or piece of scrap Star or bernard barrels I would be interested as I have not seen these before), As I have already said my grandfathers familly were well known for there work, when he trained me he was 73 and I was 15, he passed away without writing down or telling me his secret formulas I have all the old formulas his father and grandfather had written down but he had perfected it and modernised it in the 30s but kept it all in his head! anyway the last picture is a set of three iron damascus barrels that I have done one side only showing before and after I am now forty and I want to be known for my barrel work I am not there yet but I am sure this site is going to be a great help, I would also like to say a big thankyou to the late Oscar Gaddy he was a great help to me when I started doing this work again his advice helped me recreate the old fashioned english finish

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel Browner,
Really super work by you and your family! Wonderful post and I hope to read and see more of your work and opinions.

Page 16 of 55 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.