April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, 3 invisible), 408 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,809
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a very complex story involving the purchase by a Bordeaux militia of Chassepot rifles from Lebeau freres in 1870.
The French agent seems to have been screwed in the deal, to the point that there was a Congressional inquiry after the facts, in which Auguste had to testify.
The amounts involved are considerable. Peabody is part of the story, and Lebeau said he was a Peabody agent in Belgian.
Incidentally Lebeau Freres received patents for the modification of Chassepot rifles to use with metallic cartridges.
Best regards,
WC-

PeteM #441136 04/10/16 05:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also found somewhere the picture of a Remington rolling block rifle stamped with "Lebeau freres" rather than Nagant who did hold a license.
The brothers were doing all kinds of stuff, it seems.
There is some confusion on who the brothers actually were either Jules and Auguste or Jules and Gustave.
It looks to me like Auguste replaced Gustave at some point.
The late 1860s were a gold mine for Belgian weapon makers with the US civil war and the Franco-Prussian war among other markets, so it is no big surprise than the Lebeaus were in the thick of it, far away from making luxury hunting gear.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robertovich
May be. Lindner and the best German boxlock are
synonyms for me.

Regards,

Igor

Me too!

20 Gauge Lindner Daly

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
PeteM #441145 04/10/16 09:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun C Man, just beautiful.

Built stout is an understatement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Beautiful gun C Man, just beautiful.

Built stout is an understatement.

Thank you. This is a mid-grade Prussian Lindner Daly. Amazing guns, really.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
ellenbr #441156 04/11/16 05:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Once again, I digress to the Daly - Lindner alliance. Daly, like all other firearms merchants did not want any evidence that would suggest his shop did not manufacture his wares. Lindner was the unsung draft mule & had it not been for the loss of his son in the early fighting with the Brits in the Great War, the Lindner hallmark of quality would have been better appreciated. True fit & finish doesn't bode of the quality but the illiterate client, who was just unaware of the processes of sporting weapons manufacture, assumed that if he purchased from the wares of a top retailer, then he was guaranteed quality. Until now, there wasn't a protocol for summing quality based on the superposition of effort by the most talented mechanics.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Raimey,

It's all well but I don't think your comparison is valid. Courally did not promote the name of the maker who worked for him. Courally promoted as his brand the name of a gunmaker who was already dead. I repeat - only the brand, not the guns made by the Lebeau.

Regards,

Igor

www.shotguncollector.com

PeteM #441158 04/11/16 07:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

C-man, those barrels are in serious need of bluing! smile

PeteM #441164 04/11/16 08:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Igor:

With the Galloping Bovine's(WC's) comments I see how Courally resurrected the image of Auguste Lebeau & projected it forward as THE name for quality. I too think Courally was a mastermind regarding marketing but he still had to have a QA/QC(Eye of Quality) akin to Lindner or Lebeau, so considering Lebeau is not an option, Courally had to court the subcontactors or mechanics of the Lebeau concern and akin to herding cats, Courally had to have some cohesion, other than money, to retain the allegiance of the mechanics to the level of quality that Courally propagated thru advertising as the concern had to deliver. I just do not believe that Courally was an arquebusier and rode on the coattails of Lebeau's on the quality of his wares. So at some point, possibly prior to Lebeau's demise, Courally had to court either the concern or the heirs & assigns to keep the concern whole.

Regarding the Daly concern, when Lindner was not the QA/QC for S,D & G & Daly was not @ the helm for marketing, the concern faltered and was cast into lots & dispersed. Courally somehow overcame that obstacle.

Lovely blog and thread by the way.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr #441168 04/11/16 09:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Igor:

I just do not believe that Courally was an arquebusier and rode on the coattails of Lebeau's on the quality of his wares.

Raimey
rse

Raimey,

We don`t know anything about the quality of Lebeau except bad images in the Nobili`s book. Kiplauff of Prince Michael Romanoff and mitrailleuse of standard quality (see my blog).
https://shotguncollector.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/img_72651.jpg
https://shotguncollector.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/5.jpg

M-me Moermans told me in Lebeau`s workshop worked no more than 15 people. Courally had at the disposal of 2 workshops not smaller than Francotte.

Regards,

Igor

Last edited by Robertovich; 04/11/16 09:24 AM.
PeteM #441300 04/12/16 10:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

We cannot include nor compare James Purdey or other English makers in this discussion as they established themselves as a 'Best' guns long before the breechloader appeared and, in the case of James Purdey, even longer before they adopted the Beesley action. As the American Indian once said of their English fowlers, which they preferred and craved above all others, "Feel good in the hands and their locks don't freeze in the winter time."

However, folklore tells us when Alfred the Great sought refuge among his serfs after the Danes pushed him out of his kingdom, he proved that he was their king by showing them the quality of his sword. "That's the sword of a King." "I am your King."

People who can afford the 'Best' normally have the 'Best' All the time.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.