April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Wild Skies, Hugh Lomas, Drew Hause, WBLDon, DaveB, Argo44), 1,035 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,724
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
PeteM #440467 04/03/16 07:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buf Sauvage:

You well know that we are overly obsessed far beyond the fine fare of our beloved mechanics. From Bernard, Mode, Guyot, etc. the more obscure the firearms merchant, the more we are consumed. And one knows this to be true when you are chasing serialization and touchmarks on wares that have more than 100 years.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr #440479 04/03/16 12:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure, Raimey.
I was trying to put things in perspective.
E.g. even though I'd love to understand what happened to the people involved, it is as important to understand what happened to the brand itself.
We all know that the important brands have been built on a lot more than the founder's name and business practices.
F. Beesley was instrumental to Purdey, T.Woodward and Froome to Holland, L. Taylor, Deeley and Edge to W. Richards, etc...

Browsing around, I have found "Auguste Lebeau" (sans Courally) guns such as this one going all the way to 1926, with the same SN system than the LCs.
So that brand was kept alive for a long time, after Auguste L. demise's.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way I think that Anne-Marie Moermans has been remarkably successful in keeping the brand going in the worst possible times for the luxury hunting weapon business. The odds are very much against her.
Best regards,
WC-

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robertovich
Pete, unfortunately there is a reason that I`m in a hurry to write about what I know. It would be grate to meet in Liege ... Maybe in the next life smirk

Igor

Igor,

Down the street from the Curtis is a smallish restaurant that is used by mostly locals. The jambon is good and the beer is cold. I will pay for the beer. cool

I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Luckily, the chemo is working. Keep fighting! wink

Pete

PeteM #440532 04/04/16 01:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete,

Hope dies last. It's true. Many thanks for your support.

Anything can happen.......if you will pay for the beer wink

Igor

www.shotguncollector.com

ellenbr #440534 04/04/16 01:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just found a judgment dated Jan 8 1898 about the inheritance of Auguste L.
The affair is complex due to the bankruptcy of "Lebeau freres" in 1880.
It seems like Auguste had to repay his debt post bankruptcy, but failed to do it appropriately.
Therefore the bank tried to get the inheritance from AL's heirs who were also fighting among themselves.
He did not seem to have been married, but a Marie Lebeau was involved as well as some others.

Auguste's frere was named Jules. He seemed to have been out of the picture in 1898.

There is no mention of Courally whatsoever.

WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle
I just found a judgment dated Jan 8 1898 about the inheritance of Auguste L.
The affair is complex due to the bankruptcy of "Lebeau freres" in 1880.
It seems like Auguste had to repay his debt post bankruptcy, but failed to do it appropriately.
Therefore the bank tried to get the inheritance from AL's heirs who were also fighting among themselves.
He did not seem to have been married, but a Marie Lebeau was involved as well as some others.

Auguste's frere was named Jules. He seemed to have been out of the picture in 1898.

There is no mention of Courally whatsoever.

WC-

That's great! Belgian Court documents in civil cases confirm this information.

Last edited by Robertovich; 04/04/16 03:17 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
A great read. I lived for several years in Brussels and traveled to Liege in the 1980's but at the time did not know the history of Liege arms makers. I do know French ones. This has been an excellent history and artisanal lesson. Thanks. That gun is just...nice! And if you need some texts translated...I or wife can do. My youngest was born in Ixelles, Brussels.

Thanks for the nice review. Translation into French is a big challenge. Who will pay for this job?

Igor

Igor, I speak french. My wife is native French and speaks highly educated English as well. We'd be honored to translate your document....for free....if you'd like. And Courage mon ami.
www.shotguncollector.com

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
PeteM #440638 04/04/16 11:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

TOOK A GOOD LOOK AT THE LEBEAU 20 SLE. I decided to pass. This is a very high grade gun.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Argo44 #440640 04/05/16 01:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A great read. I lived for several years in Brussels and traveled to Liege in the 1980's but at the time did not know the history of Liege arms makers. I do know French ones. This has been an excellent history and artisanal lesson. Thanks. That gun is just...nice! And if you need some texts translated...I or wife can do. My youngest was born in Ixelles, Brussels.

Thanks for the nice review. Translation into French is a big challenge. Who will pay for this job?

Igor

Igor, I speak french. My wife is native French and speaks highly educated English as well. We'd be honored to translate your document....for free....if you'd like. And Courage mon ami.

Thank you in advance. I need a few days to edit the text in English according to some documents. These new documents are already in the blog in Russian. Cordialement.

Igor

www.shotguncollector.com

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.