April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (CJF, Vol423, buckstix, 1 invisible), 449 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. There is a radius on the Darne's grip that begins at the very front, i.e., no sign of a straight section. Try to picture how it would look if you tried to remove the round knob and convert it to a straight grip and you can see what I mean. Also, there is no delineation at the rear of the round knob ..... it just kinda becomes the belly of the stock.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Ted,
You seem to be the Pied Piper of Darnes. They just keep showing up at your door in great condition. Gil

Somebody has to do it. I'm pretty sure Stan won't.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After assembling an R model Darne, you might not be completely done. This view shows the main spring, with the only tool you should ever consider using on it, besides your finger. Always push down on the solid metal behind the forks to remove the barrels. I cannot stress that point enough, using a metal tool of some sort on one or both of the serrated forks will usually break them, and then you are SOL. It, the spring, that is, has to be able to rock on the pin to allow you to remove the barrels. Too tight is bad, and so is too loose. This one was too loose, and would flop when you slid the sliding breech back. The adjustment is adding a bit of bend to the pin that retains the spring.

The pin is the one at the top, that passes through the link that connects the triggers to the actual sears in a Darne R model.

The "little old lady" way to remove the pin is to start it with a proper Starret punch, and finish driving it out with a finishing nail to hold all the parts in place while you beat a little more bend into the pin itself. It kinda' sucks trying to hold everything together to reassemble the gun, so, use the nail to do that, and drift the nail out with the pin when you put it back together.

Here is a view of the little devil himself. I just take them over to my little vise, that has flat jaws, clamp them up and give them a little wack. I got it on the first try this time, and the spring is snug and doesn't flop in the gun when you open it.
Notice the pins on the back of the front wood. These locate the wood on the metal at the back. On my guns the wood all fits pretty tight, I imagine you could fire the gun without the screws in the wood, but, don't do that.

I hit the case colors with a light coat of lacquer when I was done, and finished putting it all together. This one is done now.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I'd appreciate it if you would give the tutorial on barrel removal and re-assembly of the R models. I've seen everything from banging on the old stock to muzzle jabs on a carpet. Thanks. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, some of us would appreciate your weighing the gun for an exact weight. .100 wall thickness would suggest a heavier gun than 7 pounds. I have never seen or heard of such a Darne and would like to own it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Ted. Fascinating work there. Interesting your 12 is so heavy, my R-16 is 7 lbs 2 oz, but it's a short 10 gauge!

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Ted, I'd appreciate it if you would give the tutorial on barrel removal and re-assembly of the R models. I've seen everything from banging on the old stock to muzzle jabs on a carpet. Thanks. Gil

Gil, the barrel/action fit is just the friction of the barrel lug once the top slide has been removed. You can break the friction fit with a gentle stock bump on the carpet or bump the muzzles if you prefer. Either one will work. You may be strong enough just to push it apart between your hands, but I'm not...Geo

P.S.: Be careful to hold onto the barrels when you break the friction fit or they'll end up clattering across the floor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim:

My R-10 short 10 gauge is 7 lbs 3 oz. 27-1/2 inch barrels. Seems like yours and mine were designed as game guns, not water fowlers.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Darne is what Rube Goldberg shot.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
A Darne is what Rube Goldberg shot.
JR

Negative. Mr. Goldberg no doubt shot a Cosmi......his other gun was a model 12.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.