Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering a Victor Sarasqueta sidelock and would like to know more about the quality of that maker. I've heard a number of concerns expressed over the years about Spanish shotguns from the post-WWII era, such as improperly hardened internal parts. This particular gun is clearly finished as a best gun - full coverage scroll engraving, Woodward style carved fences, decent (although not spectacular) wood. It's in very good, but not perfect condition (some light freckling on the barrels). The asking price is relatively low for a Spanish sidelock from a known maker, which I attribute to this maker's being long out of business.

So, are there things I should be concerned about with Victor Sarasqueta as a maker, or is this a gun that should be relatively free of problems or concerns, absent abuse or neglect.

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry Wieland's book 'Spanish Best' is an interesting and informative read on Spanish doubles. The 2nd Edition paperback is available for around $20 and is well worth the price if you have any interest in Spanish guns. Others can probably speak better to the quality of VS guns, Wieland had some good things to say about them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They were never the best guns ,internally they were quite basic, finish and engraving were very average . That said they worked for the most part with relatively little trouble . Fine for light use but personally would avoid using heavy loads or for big bag days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not fully agree with gunman about their quality. I have a number of doubles, including two Victor Sarasqueta sidelocks, one from the 1930's and another from just post WWII. In my judgment, they rank equally with two higher grade AyA sidelocks and two Ugartechea O/U sidelocks that I have, Merkel 303 clones. Never a problem of any kind, give great service, and look and handle well to boot! I don't know if they would be called "best" guns or not, but they are very good, IMHO. I think the bad knocks against Spanish guns stem from the flood of very low priced guns they turned out, not their upper grade guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Victor Sarasqueta was, arguably, the best of all the Spanish gun makers, past and present. He was, unarguably, the largest and most innovative of the Spanish gun makers. Absent abuse, neglect, and the wear and tear associated with long use it’s unlikely you will have a problem with a Victor Sarasqueta shotgun.

In Spain, when the talk turns to shotguns, the name “Victor Sarasqueta” is spoken with reverence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello:

Yes, ChiefShotguns and Kyrie are right: Victor Sarasqueta is one of the best Spanish gun maker in history.

You can find some bad AyAs or mostly any other spanish brand (except Pedro Arrizabalaga), but never a bad Victor Sarasqueta.

All the grades that the firm made, from the lowest to the highest are well made.

The only bad about the brand is that they no longer exists since the 1970´s.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 16ga 4E imported by Stoeger back in 1954....well made Spanish gun for sure.. even though it is one of the lower grade sidelocks Sarasqueta made.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interestingly adoration and respect does not seem to translate into high monetary value. Not long ago one could find SLE in .375 or .458 for about $6000. The new bench made SxS rifles from Spain cost >$30,000. That does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief my experience with Sarasquetas is of guns built in the 60's and 70's . It is of these I have expressed my opinion on from my practical experience of repairing them .

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.