April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (FlyChamps, ChiefC, jake van dyke, 4 invisible), 319 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,011
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#438162 03/07/16 01:13 AM
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am sick of rooting around in a drawer for bits and pieces of a cleaning kit. What do you suggest as a shotgun only kit.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

While you are in the heat of your frustration and most likely to spend some money i would buy three stout alloy cleaning rods.

If you put them together and screw them up tight with some lock tite you wont take them apart.

Stick a phosphor bronze on one, wool mop on the other and a quality brass jag on the third.

Its very hard to lose one 34 inch long aluminum rod; losing 3 is particularly difficult.

Wooden rods are fine but i shoot black powder and when cleaning the barrels out with hot water and washing up liquid the wood soaks up all the water and can be wet for days. A tough patch resulted in the snapping of one wooden rod i had and its just inconvenient if your relying on that as your only rod.

This rod here ( im guessing you are in the US so you will have to hunt around for similar ) is about 12.5mm thick of aluminum.
The attachments that come with it are OK, but the plastic jag wants binning and replacing with a brass one.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103863-gmk-alloy-rod-cleaning-kit/#.Vt1lD33XuUk

If you have multiple gauges of guns get a little organiser box to keep everything in smartly, fine something suitable at a pound shop or something.

Plastic jags are hopeless and the brass ones have much better threads, look nicer and last longer.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103940-napier-ultra-jag-12g-4728/#.Vt1lLn3XuUk

Had this frustration with cleaning kits going missing and such and i thought hang it and just bought more bits than I'll ever need, when i lose an attachment i just use a new one, never bother looking for the missing one, eventually i find them in some drawer or other and they go back in the box but i got fed up of losing them.

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 03/07/16 08:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I built a wooden box for my den that contains all the small bits.

I dislike jags and the commercial slotted tips don't hold a large enough patch so I make my own one piece rods from 1/2 inch hardwood dowel. Flatten the last 3 1/2 inches then cut a slot 2 inches long. Now you can shove a serious patch down the barrel. I add a wooden handle from the hardware store. A cheap wooden file handle works great.

I use an old jointed rod for the brass brush.

Last edited by Hammergun; 03/07/16 08:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been using a fake lambs wool rod with a bronze brush screwed in the business end. I hose the bore with a light oil (Rem Oil is the usual) then brush/swab it several times. That's it. No copper/lead solvents on soft soldered barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While you're putting the kit together buy several of these in all gauges/bores. This is absolutely the best patch jag I have ever used. You can pull the tight fitting patch back out the breech end, as it stays on the jag even when you push it all the way out the muzzle before withdrawing it. Been using these for probably 15 years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093284613/bore-tech-shotgun-cleaning-jag-nylon

BTW, I favor one piece rods for cleaning in the shop, but I've got a nice old three piece rod in a kit, maybe an old Parker Hale, that came with Rangoon Oil, mops, the works. It is infinitely better for traveling, IMO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of these and love it: www.shoottowingear.com . It's definite overkill, but I shoot a lot - 20-25k per year, and I'm a lazy cleaner. I also use wad stripping choke tubes in my competition gun, and this rig and a good solvent clear plastic in a heartbeat. Do I need it - no. Do I like it - absolutely.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.